1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good customers are hard to beat.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OMG, Jul 26, 2006.

1. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

I was blowing off the front porch of a client today. I noticed the front (glass) storm door was shattered. I feel pretty sure I did it with the mower or trimmer, but I didn't see or hear it when it happened.

I left a note, advising the customer about their door. I stated I thought it may be my fault, but I wasn't sure. I requested they call me to advise if the door was already broken and if not, I would replace it.

Got a call this afternoon. Customer says door wasn't broken before, but since I am not sure and they are not either, not to worry about the replacement and they appreciated my honesty.

I still feel like this was my fault. Right now, I am trying to decide how I should approach this. I think I should at least counter with paying 1/2 to replace it......or give free cuts to equal the 1/2 or entire replacement.

Any suggestions?

2. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

Just tell them you feel pretty sure that it was you and that you would not feel right about letting them pay for all of it.
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The free cuts to equal the cost of new glass sounds good to me.
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Just curious. Was there a stone or something similar between the storm door and wood door? Or anything that would leave you to believe it was you? I really appreciate your honesty as well, but at the same time "I'd rather 100 guilty men go free than one innocent man to pay for a crime he hasn't committed." :)
  5. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Well, which is it? Go with your gut feeling here. If you think it was your fault work the cost off in the cuts like you said. Not trying to be a butthead but you are saying two different things.

6. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I broke a storm door window this season. Or at least I think it was me, not really sure, just like you. I'm pretty sure it was me though because it wasn't broken when I started cutting but when I went to get paid, it was. I paid for it with free cuts. For me it worked out real well. It was in a town house neighborhood where I cut about 20 homes without having to move my truck. So I didn't have to pay any cash and I was already at his house when I was mowing all the other accounts. Now it's paid off, he's happy and I'm happy he is back to paying me.
  7. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

The door glass didn't have a hole in it.....it was just shattered and still in the frame.

I couldn't find a rock on the porch, but it's possible I could have already blown it off before I noticed the door.

To the other poster, I think the odds are heavy that I did the damage.
  8. bullethead

bullethead LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Take your licks and move on. It's going to happen. Some years more frequently than others. This one seems straightforward, but I have had people alllege stuff that was physically impossible - that's when it's time to stand your ground.
  9. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree sounds like the right thing to do, especially since they were so understanding about it. Thats hard to find these days.
  10. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

I would give a few free cuts and thank them for being understanding about it. That will show them that you can be trusted and will most likely get you a customer for life. I hit a door with a rock (99% sure I did it) and like you I didn't see it happen but logic would say that I did it. Told the customer and offered to replace the door, they liked the honesty and met me half way on the cost of the door, ended up getting a good bit of side work after that from them. Even if you didn't do it and it costs a little to make a customer happy it will come back to you.