Good customers!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Jul 18, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont know about you guys but I just had my 1st customer that said I was a bit low and offered me more money!

Well, err I wasn't low but I gave him a discount.. I did his power raking in May, he was happy with it..

I picked up my 1st weekly lawn maint account with him @ $25 a week..

I then got bi-monthly garden bed maint from him, I said well the 1st time shot will be $50 since i'll be here regularly..

he said, thanks.. thought about ti for a few mins.. then said out of the blue..

you know what, $50 is too low.. make me feel better, double it at least! make it $100 .. its going to take you all day to do the weeding in the garden beds, i dont want you to spend all day for $100..

I said lol, okay its going to take me like 1hr but sure!

Dont you love customers like that?!?!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Good for you, souds like they liked your work.
  3. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I need a few of those. Thats geat though!
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yea, he's got 2 customers, i bet they are friends of his parents, or relatives that are paid just to be nice to him. "here's $20, make the kid feel like a real landscaper...."
  5. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, play nice and be a good boy. LOL
  6. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

shuddap boobies..

:D :D
  7. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I got that once with a commercial account. I bid $350/month and the lady said that it wasn't enough, better make it $400. I thanked her for being honest with me. Pretty good customer now.
  8. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's what he really thought:

"Dang, for $50 he's gonna do a crappy job or he won't be around next year, I better offer him more. I really hate looking for yard guys every dang year, it's getting old."

Charge people, they want you to stay in business and provide them a good service for a long time. To them we're employees, they want us to stick around because looking for good ones is a pain.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

How long did it take you to do the work?

Alpine ,take the advice of the customer and start charging more. I know that you like to do this work and would do it for little to no money any way but to keep doing it you will have to make a living with it. This is a lot like the ladder/25'shrub thing. don't let you enjoyment of the work take over the profit. When you enjoy the work it might seem like it only takes an hour but after you are done you look at the clock and WOW, 4 hours, "Didn't seem that long" Keep records of how long a job takes you and use that to price jobs in the future. Good luck and enjoy the $100.00.
  10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

"shuddap boobies.."---Made me laugh.