1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Good deal gone bad!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Synergy Ground, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Synergy Ground

Synergy Ground LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Purchased what looked like a new Stihl HS81T Hedger yesterday. Guy cranked it right up, I was in a hurry and in dress clothes so I didnt actually test it. Got home to find out the bar does not operate, motor revs up good but bar will not run at all. I can use pliers to push and pull cutters and they move freely. Any ideas??

2. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Loosen up bolts that hold two together?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

Sorry didnt see the part about moving freely. Take off backing plate amd inspect gears.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a warning about disassembly. The connecting rod brgs are loose rollers. Be careful you don't lose any in the grease. They will do extensive damage. I've seen very few gearbox problems. I have seen a couple of clutch shoes seizing on their pivot bolt. Water and lack of use is usually the cause. You probably won't believe it now, but there isn't another hedge trimmer that even come close the them.

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

That's what happens when you hit a piece of rebar or pipe. The gearbox is probably hashed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Billsz28

Billsz28 LawnSite Member

First make sure the blades are not overly tight which could cause that problem.

In my experience repairing this type of equipment the problem usually is in the gearbox which located under the motor and will have a cover with six or so torx/Allen bolts. Remove that and inspect the gears for missing teeth.

It is fairly easy to disassemble but when replacing the gears ensure that you clean extremely well so as to not leave behind any broken metal parts in the grease

If the gearbox and teeth look fine, the next thing I would do is inspect the clutch, clutch drum and bearing ( if applicable). Let us know what you find.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Synergy Ground

Synergy Ground LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Thanks for all the help. I pulled the bottom plate off and checked it over good, everything inside was well greased and free moving. I used a pair of pliers to move blades back and forth and all the gears appeared to be intact and functioning. Im not familiar with the clutches in these so I dropped it off at my service shop this afternoon. Ill keep y'all posted.
    Thanks again for the tips!!!!!

8. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

Good luck with it!
    Posted via Mobile Device