Good deal on a Grasshopper 225 ZTR?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kwadswor, Apr 18, 2005.

1. kwadswor

kwadswor LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a ZTR to mow a couple acres with, and have read advice on this forum and other places about how a low-end commercial mower will be much better in the long run. So I was looking at models like the Cub Z-Force or some of the Toro mowers.

While looking, I ran across a used Grasshopper 225 with a 25HP Kohler engine and 52" deck. 967 hours on the grasshopper and basically the same price as a new 44" Cub Z-Force (~$3600). Does this seem like a good deal?

2. seven-up

seven-up LawnSite Member
    from la

that sounds like a fair price. however i would pass on it b/c of the high hours on the kohler. jmo.

-john

3. Paul Corsetti

Paul Corsetti LawnSite Member

try looking at the gravely nice price for what you get

4. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

Take the time and look at the Hustler Fastrak. Alot better built than the Z-force and close to the same price.

5. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

I see you are comparing a 44 with a 52 deck.
    Does that mean it doesn't matter? 6 inches is a big difference in a big field. But if you have a property (Like me) where there is a big lawn but also narrow porches and flowerbeds you have to mow in between a 52 might be more than you need.

I settled for a low hour used Toro Z 147 with a 44 deck. I used to have a diesel tractor with a 52 deck. In my case I mow the 2 acres with orchards, flowerbed lanes and all bits and pieces in one hour with the Z 44.(Now I am used to it...... :rolleyes: )

Furthermore almost 1000 hours is a well used machine. They can do a few thousand hours if well kept but I wouldn't call it low hours......

It took me 3 hours with the 52 tractor and a 21 pushmower to finish it all.

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

That is a good price, IF, it has been well maintained. Do you know how well it was taken care of? How does the machine look? If it looks abused, I wouldn't buy it. If it looks pretty nice, and you can find out who owned it and what kind of service it has received, then I would say it is a good deal.

7. kwadswor

kwadswor LawnSite Member

The Grasshopper was used as a rental mower for the past 2 years, so its hours are lower than what a full-time commercial would have been over that span. (The hours in my first post were slightly incorrect – it’s 907 hours, not 967.) It looks to be in good condition (a bit dirty, but no rust or dents, paint is in good shape, engine is clean) but I haven’t driven it yet.

CottonPatch – the same place that is selling the Grasshopper also has Hustler machines, so I’ve looked at those. The Hustler is quite nice, but the cheapest one they have is a 1642 for a few hundred more than the Grasshopper. New and under warrantee are certainly wonderful things, but so is an extra 9 HP and 10” on the deck.

Paul – There isn’t a Gravely dealer particularly close to me, so I haven’t seen any of there @home models.

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

That Grasshopper sounds like a good deal to me if its been taken care of. I'd probibly take it over a new 44" Fastrac but thats just me. :)

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that the grasshopper with that many hours no matter how good it was maintained is just about at the end of its life, Your doing good if you get 1200hrs on a kohler without major work if you do start looking for some !
    a 14yr. service technician.....

10. kwadswor

kwadswor LawnSite Member

Well, it turns out the price I was originaly quoted wasn't accurate anyway. The dealer told me today that the price is actually $4700 for the used grasshopper. At that price, I'm not even remotely interested.