?Good Deal?- Used Edco table saw

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by lawnkid, Feb 8, 2007.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if someone could tell me if this table saw I am looking at is a good buy or not. It is a 2003 Edco GMS-14A with a 6.5 hp Honda on it. The saw is in real good shape and it runs well. It comes with a 14" composite blade that is worn down to about 13", and has the tray. It does not include a collapsable stand. It was previously owned by a rental store and the gentleman selling it wants $725 for the unit. Is this a good buy or no? I have looked at some others but could not find anyhting better than this. I would have to pick it up and it's about 3.5 hrs away. Thanks for your time.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

It's hard to say.

I swear by EDCO.

Infact take a look at the good lookin guy in some of their sales literature :dancing:

The biggest problem with saws is that the engine will go before the saw does.

Until I found some really good air filters, we were going through 1 engine a year.

It sounds like a good price.

But really, what you need to know is how long will the engine last?

regardless, I'd probably still buy it.

I assume it has a cart?

3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

DVS,
    Here are some pictures of the saw. I don't see a cart and it doesn't say in the listing so I would assume there isn't one???? I think I am gonna buy it anyways... I'm assuming you're doing a lot of dry cutting if you're changing your filters that much correct? I plan on doing both but mostly wet cuts that are marked with a sharpie so that the line doesn't wash away. Stand aren't too bad in price so I'll probably just pick a new one up. Thanks

EDCO saw 1.jpg

EDCO saw 2.jpg

EDCO saw 3.jpg

EDCO saw 4.jpg

4. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

that's the exact saw my rental place has, they work pretty good, I'm always a little skiddish about getting machines from rental places just because its a pretty good bet they have been abused.

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

How do you guys keep your saws clean? I have a target and it is a pain the get it clean. I want to hit it with my powerwash but i am not sure if its ok.

Seems like has soon as the junk drys on the saw, it turns back to cement!

6. DVS Hardscaper

It will do the job.

But we dont use thatt model anymore.

Hard to explain why, via text. Boils down to too many moving parts that need replacement.

Maybe offer them $650.

7. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

kid check your pm's

8. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

9. DVS Hardscaper

That saw is EDCO's old school engineering. (which, i believe EDCO will be at MAHTS this year, but I ain't 100% certain)

The problems with that model are:

1) the water pump is a seperate mechanism, requiring belts to operate it! Pain in the you know what to adjust, and it just adds unnecessary weight.

The newer versions just have a hose fitting for you to plug a garden hose to it! You'd never guess who it was that made such a recommendation to the VP 10 years ago to get rid of the pump and simply add a hose fitting! (clearing throat)

2) Those rubber bushing (motor mounts) are a PITA too. The dry out and crack, thus screwing up the tension of the belts.

The newer versions don't have those rubber bushings. the engine simply sits on the frame of the saw, and adjusting belt tension is a breeze.

The saw in the picture will do the job. But that particular model is better suited for a brick mason to chop bricks.

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

have you ever tried just using a hand held to make your cuts? we used the same model along with the 10 inch version until I went to a seminar where a guy said his were collecting dust because he saves HOURS by just marking and cutting in place. We tried it and are saving many man hours.