good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by D&V, Feb 28, 2001.

1. D&V

D&V LawnSite Member

I have a 48" john deere walk behind right now, and i need something faster, and i need another mower so that i can get things done quicker. There is a scag 52" turf tiger for sale that is 3 yrs. old, approx. 900 hours, and said to be in good shape. The person is asking $3000. Is this a good deal? Is 900 hours too many, or does the mower still have a lot of life in it?
  2. D&V

D&V LawnSite Member

Also, the mower has a 21 hp Kohler engine
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would figure about 1280/hrs to a season, so this should be a three year old nmachine with about a little less than one years worth of mowing time on it. If your visual inspection looks fine, and it seems to run fine, then I would say it might be worth haggling over.

Hope this helps.
  4. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

D&V, you should be able to tell roughly how much use is on the machine. 900 hours may seem a little low, but is, by no means, out of the question. I have seen plenty of machines 2 to 3 years old with less than 1000 hours on them.
  5. dan35

dan35 LawnSite Member

D&V, I just sold a snapper 60" joy stick that had 1900hrs. I ran a ad in the paper and had 4 calls the first night. Sold it the next day for $2850 to a farmer with a large yard. I think the scag is a better mower and it only has 9oo hrs. I think it's a good deal.