1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SDNCLAWNCARE, Oct 5, 2006.

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Guys I have a chance to buy a 61" Bunton Walkbehend with a new Motor... Deck is in Great Shape, New Blades, New Sulky, New Front Tires, electric Start. 5 speed.. 1300.00 Does this sound like a good deal?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No offense, but... By you mentioning all the 'new' stuff, does that mean the rest of the Wb is in a bit of the usually rough shape? Because afaik, a machine is only worth as much as what the shape of most of it is in, and I don't care how much 'new' someone just put in it.

See here, new blades: $30
    New sulky: $200
    New front tires: $40
    ES might sound great but believe it or not, Recoil starts are usually the more expensive option, electric start engines are usually cheaper.
    Oh sure everybody plays ES off as the greatest thing since sliced butter... That is, until the engine won't start.
    And for a 61" at that price, the engine is newer and is at least 16hp, and either a B&S, Kohler, or Kawasaki, right?

And if it's over 5 y.o., I'd say 1,000... But with a nice Kawi, yeah, 1,300 easy.
    Of course, a 61" is a bit of a rare beast, I'm not saying it's not worth 1,300 but I'm also not getting too excited about it.
  3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

What engine manufacturer, and how many horses does the engine make?

SDNCLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

Its a Kawi motor... The mower looks in great shape, no rust...
  5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Unless you can show me some proof, I don't believe that. Electric start involves having a starter motor and a battery and the associated cables, starter solenoid, etc. Pull start involves, well, a pull starter. I can't see a pull start option being more expensive than electric.

Well, if you can't get it started with ES, you're sure as hell not getting it started with the PS...
  6. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

I've had just as many problems with pull starts as electric starts... and they are both equally a pain to fix. Just my opinion.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

On what mower is that? And I would rather play with an electric start mower trying to start it that pulling a cord. An idiot can usually figure out what has gone wrong.