good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jds720, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

Scag 40" 20HP, Model SSZ $2000

2. amor4421

amor4421 LawnSite Member

looks kinda rough. What year? how many hours? how often was it serviced or had maintanance done? have you started it and let it run? there are alot of questionsfor you to get answers for, before buying it. just my thoughts. hope you make a good deal.
  3. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

Yikes! what are you going to be using that for?
  4. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Save your money.
  5. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

I have that model in a 52". I think it is a 99-00 model. There isn't anything this mower can't cut as far as tall grass. I have gator mulching blades, cuts awesome and it leaves great lines. It was my first zero turn mower i bought, now it is my back up. I can't part with mine.

scag 52a.JPG
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

keep walking.....its gotta be at least 10 years old.....and it looks like its had a pretty rough life...
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Most Scags that see any use look sorta like that. The paint peels and the rust shows really bad. It does that on mine too, my Bob-Cats don't show it like that though. As far as the actual mower, I would talk him down to a reasonable price after first going over it carefully. Check everything out. Like was said, it probably has had a lot of use and anything from engine to hydro motors/pumps could be bad or on their way out.
    Figure what replacement parts like engines and hydros would cost if you had to put them on there and you would almost be at the cost of a new Z if you included the asking price. Tony
  8. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I think you can get a nicer walkbehind for $2k. I got a nice one for $1,100.