Good deal?????

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by gogetter, Aug 28, 2003.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

What do you guys think about this unit as a first welder for someone?
    I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a welder since I would only need it now and then for a few smaller type projects.

Is this unit a decent one? I know it's not a name brand like Hobart or Lincoln, but for the money it looked like it would be worth it for occasional use by a beginner.

Opinions???? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45032&item=2553484444

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

it's made by century, i'd go for it, good for small uses

3. Pass on that mig welder.

It's hard to learn to weld with something of that caliber.

Get a Lincon Welpack 100 from lowes/ homedepo.

That one on ebay has such a low duty cycle.

That's the rating for how long you can weld in a 10 minute period.

12% = 1.2 minutes.

The Lincon has 4 tap settings too. One tip, set the wire speed below 2, it feeds fast.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

LGF, until today I had no idea what "duty cycle" even meant.

But I just bought an air compressor, and the instructions explained that it has a 50% duty cycle. But it says that it can run 30 minutes in an hour.

How does one know how long the cycle is? The compressor is an hour, and you say the welder is 10 minutes.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

LOL! Uuhh, please ignore my last question.
    Clearly I had a brain fart.

6. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Duty cycle is usually given in percent. It means the percent of time you can actually be welding vs waiting for the machine to cool off. I think a 10min span is a pretty common time for welders. A 30% duty factor means you can weld continuous for 3 min, then need to wait 7 min for the machine to cool.

As you might expect duty factor depends on the settings, wire size, wire speed, as well an the units overall design. Doing lighter work you will be able to make longer continuous runs than you can at the machines max capacity.

Most decent machines have thermal overload protection. They simply shut down it they get too hot, hopefully before any perminant damage occurs. They force you to wait.

Duty Cycle-The number of minutes out of a 10-minute time period an arc welding machine can be operated at maximum rated output. An example would be 60% duty cycle at 300 amps. This would mean that at 300 amps the welding machine can be used for 6 minutes and then must be allowed to cool with the fan motor running for 4 minutes. (Some manufacturers rate machines on a 5 minute cycle).

taken from hobart's guide