Good Deal??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kingbman1, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

im looking to buy a 32inch walkbehind and i came across a 93' 32inch toro belt drive 12.5 horsepower with float deck. It seems in pretty good condition for being 11 years old. The only thing wrong with it is it has very slow leak in one tire. Hes asking $500 and wont take anything less. What do you think? good deal or ok deal or bad deal
  2. Kingbman1

and it also has tbar handling.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

For $500 if it runs and cuts good it's an ok deal.
    Don't know that I'd pay more for it and I'm not sure how well the older decks will cut, but like I said.......5 bills ain't much these days.
  4. Kingbman1

anyone else with an opinion?
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you don't get much for $500. buy it, take it to your dealer, tell him go over it and fix what needs fixing, and i bet u got a good machine for $700 total. i'm selling my 32" exmark, $ don't leak
  6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

is it one big round deck (single blade)? If so, these do cut good in my opinion (yes i had a 32" Toro single blade) it did a good job, however it can be more prone to scalping and also it is longer which means takes more turning space and won't poke into corners and tight spots as well as a two bladed machine. Also the single blade Toro's had small front wheels. If the length ain't a problem for ya and you don't mow under 3 or 3.5" then its probably a decent deal for you. Any decent running commercial mower is worth that much.
  7. Kingbman1

yes it is the big single blade mower
  8. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless your ground is flat. It will not leave a nice even cut. Cut low in one spot high in another depending on how the wheels are landing with the slope.
  9. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

I have a Gravely Pro 50. It is a belt drive. I will never buy another belt drive mower again. It is a good mower, but belt drives are a pain. Damp grass and you can't mow. Changing gears is a pain, and the belts get hot after mowing all day and seems like they stretch. However, if you can get a reliable mower for 500, I would consider it. Also I bet that exmark that Bobby is selling would be a great deal. I wouldn't argue with him on the price though!
  10. Kingbman1

How would a 2 blade deck make any difference???