Good Dealer Support

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Remsen1, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I broke the drive idler pulley on my Ferris Hydrowalk while doing my own lawn yesterday (thankfully, I wasn't mowing for customers) when I briefly noticed a whiff of belt burning. I stopped and checked it and there was a little smoke, but it cleared up as quickly as it started, so I finished my pass and on the return pass I saw half of a (plastic) pulley laying in the grass that I just went over. I shut the mower down the picked it up and investigated to find that it was the drive idler. I pulled the part off and brought it to my Ferris dealer today. He greeted me by name asked what I needed and pulled another off the shelf, handed it to me. I asked if it was a waranty item and he said "yep, you're all set mr. gagnon". I said "great thanks alot and left". Even though it was nothing major, this left a lasting impression that I won't forget, and I will be glad to give them all of my business. No going to customer service deptartment, no lines, no questions, no paperwork needed, no forms to fill, no waiting. It made my day and I wanted to share it with you.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say this (if not just erase this part), my dealership is Deerfield Sports in Remsen, NY.

2. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Do ferris Machines have Plastic Idlers??

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I don't know about the walk behinds but we have a new IS 3000 ztr and it has all metal idlers.

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Super dealer - My JD dealer is just like that, and that is why I do not "shop" around for the "cheapest price on a mower. I give my dealer what he needs (He has always been fair) and he gives me the service I need. Stay with that dealer - he will save you big bucks even if a charges a bit more for a new mower. Thanks Brad

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I have to agree with Brad on this. My JD dealer even had a mechanic come in on Easter Sunday last year to fix one of my mowers. You can't beat that for service and if he doesn't have the part. he'll have it for me by 9:00am the next day.

6. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish i could find a good dealer like that all the ones here are ****

7. Remsen1

Yep, all the pulleys are metal except the tension idler for the drive loop. I wonder if this is because an idler wheel is cheaper to replace than a cogged belt? I would think this the case. If a bearing freezes in a metal pulley, you'd probably destroy your belt before you knew there was a problem, then you'd be looking at buying a belt and a new pulley. Am I on the right track with this thought?

8. Remsen1

Well, I was wrong about this. After closer inspection the pulley took the belt with it.

9. Sitnduck

Sitnduck LawnSite Member

Now I'm curious. Did your dealer also replace your belt for free since it was a warrantied part that caused it to fail?
    Thanks.