Good deeds ever payoff?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cigarcop, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

Last snow we had I was driving to my last two accounts and passed a man and woman with a snow blower. They looked like they were having some trouble but I never gave it a second thought. After finishing the accounts I come up to them again and they are flagging me down, I back up and they asked if I could push the last bit of snow because there blower just died.
    I pushed it away and cleared a bit more, took maybe 10 minutes, they ask how much and I say not to worry about it. We start talking a bit and her husband knows my best friends uncle, blah blah blah, I hand her one of my cards and let her know if she needs anything in the future to call.

Well she did and I got a nice 3500.00 landscaping job out of it. Maybe every once in a while those deeds do pay off!!!

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

seldom..........

3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

yes they do
    but often they are too offset by the crappy things we do

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I believe in random acts of kindness. Not just for the financial aspect of it either.
    Really like the look of utter confusion.

I helped a friend of a girl I am dating move. Her boss needed a landscape install. Guess who got the job. $3000 for a days work and $600 of plants and mulch.

5. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

It never hurts to do a good deed. I pass a little old lady's house everyday that her worthless a@@ son is supposed to mow her yard. Well, he mows it on a monthly basis if you know what I mean. I had finished early one day and passed by her house and she was outside trying to mow her 8" tall fescue lawn with an old rotary mower. I stopped and asked her if I could mow her lawn and do a few things for her. She replied, "honey I don't have any money to pay you with". I replied, "Mam, if you will go inside and get some water after I finish that will be payment enough for me". I mow the lawn, edge the sidewalks and driveway, trim where it needs trimmed, trimmed a few Azaleas took me about 2-3 hours. The feeling I had that evening was better than making $500 on that job. That deed has not come back to me in monetary terms but that's not the reason I did it. I did it because she needed help that she wasn't getting from her own son. Wow, Sorry about that long, sappy post :sleeping:

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Random acts of kindness are absolutely a good thing. Not that I expect something in return, but you never know who you are helping, or who they know.

7. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

All the blue hairs know they can get me to carry the water softener salt or change a lightbulb when they ask. I'm not afraid of ever losing them to lowballers because they feel comfortable enough with me to give me keys to their homes. Anyone ever have a beer with their grandma? One lady is just lonely, I put her at the end of the day and we share a beer once in a while.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

9. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

lawnlubber,

I hear yah, I get cookies pretty often from a two of my customers........if it ever stops raining around here I'll be munching on them soon!!!

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Did the same thing, pruned some shrubs on my neighbors house, she is old and her hubby long been dead..son doesn't help her...about 3-4 hours of pruning....I end up getting this tractor....Although at the time it was in about 50 peices....so now I mow her front and back yard and plow her drive for her as well....She says that I am first on the list when she sells....Hopefully I'll be able to afford it....