"Good evening...TruGreen calling...."

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GarPA, Jan 20, 2004.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

What a weird evening...not 5 minutes apart I get 2 calls at home from fert companies....thought I'd share the info for what its worth:

Spring Green: wont quote over the phone...wants to stop by with an estimate tomorrow....fine...stop on by.

Then TG calls...will stop by to measure this week....but said the avg 10k ft lawn would be $58 per app with 6 apps...$55 if I sign up for their "pre season" special rates......

now heres the intersting part...I asked Ricardo what their fees for aeration are....are you ready??

$230 for 10k....$350 with overseed....I say HOW MUCH??..$230...ok....hmmmm

Thank you for calling.....I REALLY appreciate the information Ricardo....and have a nice evening"......wow

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Thay called me one time. I asked them if thay were calling to sell or call to complain about me taking there work.

3. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

LOL!, thats a good one.

4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

We should all follow their example for Aeration/seeding prices. I garentee you they are getting a lot of work at that rate. I charge $120 to aerate and $240 to seed but I am going to raise my price to $150 and $300 this year. Plus I'm going to go around to all the Chem lawn customers and offer $200 for just areation and my normal rate for Overseeding.

5. GarPA

from PA

i thought we would get much more of a reaction here to their aeration rates....but then I should know by now to never try and predict which threads get a respone here and which don't... my jaw dropped open when he said 230 for 10k...

6. GarPa,

But they run specials in fall

7. GarPA

from PA

thats true....but I know for a fact allot of people buy their aerations in spring....$23/1000...now thats a nice profit...no wonder they're a billion dollar company

8. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Did you find out what their minimum charge is for an aeration job? Surely they're not getting $230 for a postage stamp, 2,000 sq ft lawn?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

9. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

My concern is that you got 2 calls within 5 minutes. I plan on a telemarketing run prior to the season. I am relying big time on that to increase my customer base. If the market in Pa. is being saturated by these telemarketing campaigns it will make my job that much more difficult. We will see.

10. GarPA

from PA

DFW..no I did not ask about a min aeration fee

TURF...If I were you I'd start your calling like today....the big boys hire scads of temp workers to do these cold calls and they are very aggressive about it.

We dont do allot of fert for the very reason I have no desire to bang heads with TG. THeir fert prices are too low imo. Nor do I have the time to be trying to explain to a clueless customer why a local company fert program would be far better. Then theres the issue of Granny finding one weed in her yard and wants a service call...within 24 hours or so...no thanks.