1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good evergreen for privacy near pool deer resistant ??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scholzee, Jul 25, 2007.

1. scholzee

scholzee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Looking to plant about 8 - 10 evergreens for privacy near our pool. When mature I would like them to be about the diameter of a 5 gallon pail and about 5 feet tall, give or take some. I realize I may need to trim them to maintain the desired size. I do have quite a few deer passing by so it would help if they did not like them. I could fence them for winter to help keep the deer away. Thanks in advance for the help !!
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

My privacy hedge has different evergreens in it and the only one they didn't chew down was the spruce. Spruce also grows the fastest when you keep it under 7'. I notice in the woods though that they have chewed the tops off, but out there, I think they favor white pine.
  3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

4. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

Use emerald green arborvitae and space 5' on center (you might end up using less plants but they will work better) or if you want something skinnier, use skyrocket juniper and trim the tops. I wouldn't normally suggest this because they will look bad later but there isn't really anything else that will get that tall and stay that small around.
  5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Deer eat arborvitae here in Jersey I don't know if thats your best choice. Spruce would work but good luck keeping the size you want. How close to the pool deck is this, I mean are people going to be brushing past it to walk, if not maybe Holly, I know its not a a typical "Evergreen" but it'll serve your purpose and if you buy the right variety you should be able to keep the size where you want it.
  6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Deer eat arb. in md. also.
  7. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Leyland Cypress!
  8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Leyland Cypress is candy too.

Look at Laurels. They grow wild in the mountains and I've never had a deer touch one. My area is very over populated and due to over developing the land they have no place to go but peoples yards. Skip Laurel and Otto Luyken.
  9. DSTC

DSTC LawnSite Member

I don't know about all the areas you guys are from, but in my area we have been experiencing a BUNCH of Cercospora needle blight in Leeland Cypress trees. So much so that many people in my area have stopped suggesting them.

Here is a link describing Leeland diseases.

I know it's used for a Christmas tree, but we have planted Carolina Sapphire's for 3 customers this year and they love them. They are fast growing and can be trained into a good shape for privacy. I like these trees a lot, and they seem to be very resistant to disease. Arborvitae is another good choice (except for maybe the deer?)

Personally, I'm just not a big fan of Leelands. I've seen far too many stands of Leelands just up and die. Another thing about them is that they should be planted about 10' apart, because they may experience health problems due to poor air circulation. to me, they are just a maintenance nightmare.

Here is good link describing some evergreen choices.

10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I go Cryptomeria over Leyland, always.