Good fertilizer/seed spreader for about $100

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Ditta&Sons, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindaiwa dealer says hes got Prizelawn spreaders and up until a couple of years ago, made the shindaiwa spreaders. Spreader is about $150 he says. A little more than I wanted to spend plus the long drive, but hes a ferris dealer as well, Im sure Ill find something to buy for my mower as well.

Prizelawn spreaders look great, anyone have experience? Anything specific I should look for in the spreader?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  3. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

I've never heard of those or seen them on the bags of fertilizer. THe nice thing about some of the bigger brands of spreaders is the labels of a lot of these fertilizer products will tell you exactly how to set your spreader for desired application rate..makes it a bit easier to get going, at least for me.

4. Ditta&Sons

the bags I buy dont have any suggestions on them unfortunately

5. Ditta&Sons

6. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

also fertilizer is pretty caustic, it would be a good idea to wash out your spreader after every time you use it, unless the whole thing is made up of plastic or some crap.. even still, probably a good idea to clean it :)

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Rust is a huge problem as SMLC said. If is not stainless steel or plastic--the average life of the spreader is two years.

8. Ditta&Sons

So a plastic/poly frame would be an advantage? Poly frames are only offered on the entry level spreaders and I was under the impression it is much cheaper to make.

Btw, I drove over to TSC to return the spreader with the damaged wheel and drove down to Bison Turf in another city, only to find they closed for the day. Website says they were open till 8pm and I got there at 6. I really wanted to look at this Prizelawn stuff.

I'll have to try another day.

Thanks guys
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

you can get the earthway spreaders delivered to your door in a few days off of amazon..

10. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S. New Jersey

i see them on the shelves at BOTH of my Shindaiwa dealers. and are on USA website still

http://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/Products/Spreaders.aspx