Good fertilizer/seed spreader for about $100

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Ditta&Sons, Jul 15, 2014.

1. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic

2. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

which model do you have?

3. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

Search instead for John Deere Landscapes, they took over LESCO several years ago. Good spreaders but priced higher than you said you want to pay.

4. Ditta&Sons

Thanks, theres a dealer about 40 minutes away, Ill give them a call to see what they have and how much their entry level spreader is.

5. smlc451

smlc451 LawnSite Member

Why do you want to buy an entry level spreader? Consider buying the best one you can afford, it will probably last you a lot longer than you'd think. I am trying to not buy "entry-level" anything anymore, seems to me that when I do I always end up buying the cheap one and then have to replace it with the one I should have bought to begin with.

.m

6. Ditta&Sons

that would be the entry level lol around $100-150. Sure I would buy a $300 spreader if I had the coin. Its not a piece of equipment I would use very often so something well-constructed but without the bells and whistles.

Requirements are:

Rubber tires
    holds 50 lbs
    solid shaft axle
    hoping for grease-able axle
    rugged construction

7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

go with leasco stainless . expensive but will last you 8 or more yrs.

8. Ditta&Sons

how much is it? they dont list prices for push spreaders on the john deere site

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I think just under $300

10. Ditta&Sons

Thats 2-3 times what I have to spend though. If I had $300 the choice wouldnt be so hard. I understand the importance of buying a piece of equipment that will outlast the cheaply made products but I cant afford to spend that much. If fertilizing becomes a more regular app that I can sell then I would definitely spend more money on the next one, but as it stands, I dont do much fertilizing so it would have minimal use for now.

The spreader I have now is a small Scott's with edgeguard that I found beside the Walmart, I assume was destined for the garbage (its bolts were rusty and the cable was misaligned, which I fixed) otherwise I guess I stole a spreader LOL So Ive been using that with some success so far, but my parents gave me $100 for my birthday and I decided I wanted a more professional type of spreader. I'm willing to put in a few extra bucks but not another $200.

I appreciate all the responses. Does anyone have a low cost spreader that theve been happy with? I'm trying to stay within budget and not go into debt.