Good find......Rocks for landscapes.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by o-so-n-so, Jan 13, 2006.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I was out doing a job a few weeks back and the customer was building a new house. He had these rocks all pushed up in a pile and I ask what his plans were for the rock. He didn't want the rocks so I traded out my service for the rocks. I already have a install job where a few of these will go. Medium to small individual scape boulders.

I can make about $1500.00 from this nice find.:) Just thought I'd share.

Free Rock 001.jpg

2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I have a whole creek full of rocks. Wanna buy some?

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Good score man!
    I have alot on my prop too but would not sell them

4. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

another shot....................

Free Rock 002.jpg

5. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

last photo...........

Free Rock 007.jpg

6. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice stones, just one question and not trying to bust your chops or be a smart azz. Did the customer know what they were worth from a landscaping point? Just asking because I believe I would have simply offered to clear them out for them, rather than trade service for them, JMO, and again not trying to bust your chops. Good find though they will sure look good in the right setting.

7. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

Yea....I told him what I pay per ton for rock like that at my rock supplier. I only got what was in his way and he had an unlimited supply on his property.
    I offered to pay more than the service trade amount of $50.00. He just wanted to trade it out. Worked for me.:)

P.S. I plan on using most of the rock at my own house. I bought a house last Aug. and its in bad need of a scape install. When the time comes I would like to get some input on how to completely landscape my own home. Plants, pavers, small pond and a half acre pond in the plans. I'm now getting ready to build my office area inside my recreation room.

8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL!! Good luck with that, I sincerely mean that. My house seems to be the last one on the list over and over again. Worst part is if my wife shows up on a landscape or hardscape job, always and I mean always wonders why we don't do something like that at our house, I just laugh at her and tell her to go get an estimate, heck I barely get my own lawn taken care of once a week, and thats a battle!

9. kalyeah

kalyeah LawnSite Member

Yeah I snagged a bunch when they dug a basement next door to my brother in law. Wish I would have had a bigger place to store some. As many as you would need .

10. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

found some also. road widening project turned up tons. asked private contractor doing the project, said he didn't care, come by Sat and he'll load. gonna use at partner's prop and couple of others in mind. couldn't resist letting em go.