Good first ZTR mower? Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowingismylife, Sep 6, 2007.

1. mowingismylife

mowingismylife LawnSite Member

I looking at buying my first commercial mower. It's going to be a ZTR i know for sure. I have about 10 lawns i mow so far. Most under a acre. Two are about 1-2 acres. I have looked at Grasshopper first the 100 series with the 41incher, Then looked at Bob-cat, and then Snapper.

I am shooting for a 42-48 inch ZTR under $5,000. Out of Grasshopper, Bob-cat, and Snapper which one it the better of them? I plan on looking at Toro also.

Any advice would be great! thanks.
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

10 lawns? Season starting to end......and you want to buy a Z? hhmmm, none of my business, I suppose.

I would definitely look hard at the Toro's. I am thinking of getting one for next year. Bob-cat is a good one too. Then Grasshopper. And last, Snapper.
    I would wait until the start of next season to actually buy a Z though. You don't want it sitting during the winter just wasting the warranty, making payments on something that is not generating income....etc.
  3. zebkedic

zebkedic LawnSite Member

Scag tiger cub has been good for me. Built like a tank, very reliable. Good cut.
  4. The Grass Guy

The Grass Guy LawnSite Member

I use a 500 series Toro Z Master , (Its over your price range) The 400 series may be closer to your price range and Im sure being a Toro you wont have any complaints. If you check you can get some pretty good Loan deals,I think one deal on my 500 series was like 3 yrs at 175 @ 9% with no penalty for early payoff, this was in march of this year. The only advice I can give because Im a newby at this commercial cutting thing, is if you buy junk you will pay for it in the long run.
  5. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

Check out Mower Medic or Heil Brothers in the next few and see if you can find some good deals if your in the southern Dayton area Heil has a good variety of stuff. Mower Medics carry Toro.
  6. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

Right now is the time when dealers and manufacturers are making the good deals on the left over mowers. And no matter what, you are going to have winters where the mower sits on warranty and isn't making money. Many of the companies are offering 6 months same as cash, or no payments, so you don't have to start making payments on it until next mowing season starts anyway.
  7. scraps

scraps LawnSite Member

You might want to take a look at the is1500 z ferris. 44" 19 hp Kawasaki. Ive checked a few ZTRS but thought for the money and machine this was the way to go. Only two years but no major problems one broken belt. Nice beginning machine and the 44 " makes it nice on smaller residential properties. Peace out.............
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'd throw away your $5K limit and get a full size ZTR in the 52-60" range.

1-2 acre lots take a LONG time with a 40 something inch mower.

Of the brands you listed, Toro would be my choice in the size I mentioned.

If your stuck on small stuff....I really dont know the products, and it gets a bit tricky as some manufacturers throw in their residential rated ZTR's in that mix as well. Be careful.