Good for a laugh

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, May 26, 2004.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I had a neighbor of a customer come out today and want her yard cut. She was very foreign. The majority of her yard is 4' grass, so I told her that I couldn't do it. She said I only had to do the part that is normal cutting height, so I quoted her $20.00. I get done, and she comnes out yelling and asking why I didn't do 4' high section. I almost lost it.

She said she could do the section I did with her "grass machine", and couldn't figure out why I wouldn't use my "grass machine" on the high parts. She said that she told me she wanted a "Level Even Cut" with the rest of her yard. All I said was " I think we have a misunderstanding Ma'am, I can't do it." And I left.

Anyway, I do another yard down the street and come back to see a nice crisp $5.00 bill in my truck. I left it at that, and I left all the grass on the driveway after I found my $$$$.

2. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

Live and learn.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would loved to have seen the expression with the grass on the driveway

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

So she figured yer work was only worth $5? Well, better than nothing (almost). Sounds like she was hiding behind an exagerated language barrier to get something for nothing. Surprise! Doesn't that just burn yer butt! I think you did good by standing your ground. Odds are no matter what work you and her had agreed on, she'd have pulled that same crap in some way or another. Happens alot with foreigners. Don't get me wrong. . .I do work for a couple of them and mine do pay on time, thank goodness, but foreigners in general are known for playing the language barrier in their favor (and they are known for it because they bring it on themselves with acts like this).

5. Hubjeep

Hubjeep LawnSite Member

I get the same crap with snowplowing. It seems as though some foreigners are never happy with the work, or make it extremely hard to communicate a verbal "contract" with them before starting.

-John

6. shorty7616

My thoughts exactly.

BTW I actually told her I would cut the 4' grass (a 20' x 30' section) for $150.00......kinda wish she woulda said yes!

7. EZTarget

EZTarget LawnSite Senior Member

yea but she would have come running out screamin that she wanted an uneven cut and you cut the wrong thing!

8. shorty7616

Yea, I know, but it coulda been worth it......with the $$$$ up front.