1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

good gesture or the law?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by precisioncut, Dec 2, 2003.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Are the lawn signs posted in the yard after a fert app the law?
    I know what your going to say, "you know you have to be licensed, don't you?" Yes, I know. I'm currently reading the manuals, but it doesn't help with the question. And, are they required after any app? Any help or direction would help.
    P.S. I tried the search but couldn't find info.
  2. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

In PA it is not required by law, but I don't know about your state.
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi PrecisionCut,

This site may be helpful.

State by state chemical application test information located here.
  4. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Not required here. But I do put out flags just to keep people from tracking chemicals onto the sidewalk. Or if I am using a restricted pesticide or if the reentry is longer than till its dry. Like a day or 2.
    But I dont use them just for ferts.
  5. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not required for straight fertilizer applications, but any application including a pesticide or herbicide is required to be posted. I post all applications so my accounts know I have made an application and aren't doubting me when the invoice arrives.
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

How do you do that Scraper?

Do you put a flag in their yard, or do you hang like a doorhanger on their door letting them know you were there?

I was just wondering, because we just hang like a doorhanger notice telling them what app they received. We do it for all our apps.
    But now I'm wondering, are we required to actually put a flag in the yard when pesticides are applied?
  7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I just use the flags from Lesco which state "Pesticide Application...Do not remove for 24 hours". I just made a call to the Dept of Agriculture and they stated it isn't required, but there is a push to make it a requirement. Guess I once again stand corrected. :)
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Posting of Pesticide application is not a Federal law nor a label requirement. It is left up to each State to make the law about it.
  9. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

In New hampshire it is not the law, in maine amd mass it is.
  10. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

What about the door hangers? Do you just tell them that you did a fert app and do you put the details of the fertilizer on it? MSDS?