"Good Guy Club"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I guess i am just in the mood to chat tonight. I am jsut typing away.

Another "new" idea i had and am in the process of trying. I just want to pass it on to any of yall that might like the idea.

I call it the "good guy club". We dont really have a name, but you will get the idea soon enough.

Ever had a customer ask for a recommendation for someone to do something for them? Painint, gutters, back hoe work, etc.? I get it all the time. My clients trust me and know i only deal with good people. (NOTE: I did not say CHEAP people.) I have been networking for 3 years now and am building a pretty good base so far. then i got this hair brained idea to link everyone together and expand the circle. I got 6 of the owners together and set up a once a month breakfast. GOt another one tomorrow as it seems.

We meet and talk business. we explain who we are and what we can/cant do. There are rules though.
    * NO NEW GUYS! Just because your cousin Vinnie (Note: I did not say Guido (lol)) starts up a used car dealership, unless he proves himself trustworthy then he cant get in. You have to provide tried and true good work.
    * If your quality of work goes down hill then you will be asked to leave the group. I am just waiting for the "guys" to ask me to leave my own group. lol
    * You can bring anyone you want to bring to the group. Joe may bring John and i will trust John because i know Joe will only bring in the highest quality of person. This lets us keep control over the quality of people that we recommend. I know there are other companies that network somewhat like this, but it is 10 ppl you dont know that just want more leads and so they come these lunches to get work. I may only know Jane from this group so why would i want to recommend her. My favorite little ol lady customer might get bad work done for her or might get ripped off. Cant/wont happen in the GGC.
    * You must show up for the breakfast on time. Tardiness is intollerable in my book. We meet at 630 every second wednesday for breakfast. This time is exact so we can eat, chat, then get to work on time.

The group is expanding very nicely. I now have a larger network of people to use. I know they all will do well because if they recommend someone then they have thier name attached to the company they recommend as well.

On another good note, I have gained many good clients from people that these GGC members have sent to me.

Business isn't all about getting for yourself. Do unto others as you would have done unto you. These guys know that i would do all i can to help them out, and in return they have done the same for me. Heck, i have even made some new friends that i have become very dependant on thier support at times. Grassroots Landscaping (a member on here) is one of those people. ALso, all of the GGC members get listed under my hot links page on my site. My customers know that they can access those people any time too.

Dang i talk alot. well, what do yall think about this hair brained idea of mine?

[Edited by Acute Cut on 04-11-2001 at 12:54 AM]
  2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

IF this is what turns you on go for it have fun
  3. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I have thought of things simmilar to this I think it is a great idea. Just havn't got off my rump to do somehting about it. I had an idea about a bunch of us getting togather and doing some community service and things like that. If you had enough business involved working together you could get a lot done for your community. Rebuild the park stuff like that.
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Where did you say you meet again?

If one of your "good guy" buddies says duck, he's not talking about the ones in the pond, he's referring to the black cadialac's slowly driving through the parling lot ;)

Just messing with you.

Sounds like you guys are making some good moves!

Keep it up!
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

who decides who gets kicked out an for what reasons.
    awful lot of room for a power situation to happen.
    one rule that almost never fails
    power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutly
    but good luck in your venture
  6. Acute Cut

awm, we all decide. You dont HAVE to leave. Basically if the group comes to the conclusion that you are not performing up to standards then they (we) will stop sending you business. the party in question will be notified of this either in group or in a one on one. They will be warned ahead of time.

Basically, if you aint doing your job then i wont send you business. Why come if we wont use you. Not strict, just common sense.

Guido. LOL. Good to see ya still around pard.
  7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I like the idea- but I would hesitate to join such a group. I think more time would be spent griping about clients than for positive mature growth. Dave
  8. Acute Cut

actually we have not had too much problem with that. We have touched on it but i have led the group in more productive avenues. Since i started the group i feel designated to set the direction for the breakfasts. I make sure that everyone introduces who they are and what they do. The new ppl always have questions about exacts and seem to always have "someone who can yse you. Ill give them your number" kind of thing.

"I am more afraid of 1000 lambs being led by a lion, than 1000 lions being led by a lamb"