Good hat? (Search didn't help)

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by FIRESCOOBY, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, same here. desert pattern seems cooler than the other available patterns i've tried.

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

3. JamesGarfield

JamesGarfield LawnSite Member

My favorite mowing hat for the summer just became this one:

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/vucohaha.html

It's a Vulcan brand cowboy hard hat. It looks like a regular cowboy hat, except it's a regulation ANSI Z89 rated hard hat. It's got a rigid outer shell constructed of high density polyethylene that resists penetration, and deflects blows from falling objects. In MY case, I was gettin mighty tired of whackin my head on low hanging branches. THIS hat was about 26 bucks, delivered, and first day out it already saved my tired old noggin from more bangs. Worth every penny in my book.

Made in the USA! It's got a ratchet suspension with a quick adjuster knob, so the hat doesn't sit right down on your head, but it's suspended with about a half-inch of air space all around the base. I've found this lets more air flow get under the hat, and you stay cooler. It's got a brim almost 3" wide all around, which shades the ears and face pretty good. You'll still want sun screen on your neck and shoulders. You'll notice it's a bit heavier than an ordinary cowboy hat... but you get used to it pretty quick, and you'll come to love it the first time it soaks up an impact from something like a tree branch that you're mowing under. I completely recommend it.

4. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Only in Texass would a guy wear a cowboy hat to mow. :laugh: :laugh:

5. lawntimenosee

lawntimenosee LawnSite Senior Member

Go DAWGS !!

sorry.. couldn't resist, being from Athens..

I am also looking for a good hat for the GA heat.. I prefer a full brim hat to block the sun from my face/neck.. but I'm having trouble finding one that's comfortable and good quality.

Good luck this season neighbor!

6. bamaone

bamaone LawnSite Member

7. bamaone

bamaone LawnSite Member

Actually "Ultra Sport hat" is what i have

8. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Look for one of the surplus military pith helments. They are hard, but have a suspension system that holds it away from your head allowing air to circulate. I have seen them at Army Navy surplus. or online sources as Brigade Quartermaster, Cheaper than Dirt, ect. Also found a fedora type at Tractor supply with mesh sides and twill top and brim.