1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

good help is soooooooo hard to find

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bryand28, Feb 21, 2006.

1. bryand28

bryand28 LawnSite Member

Me and my brother started our business 6 years ago and hired 1 guy to help us. He bailed out last year cause he was tired of it and i never knew till then how hard it was to find reliable help. I went thru 5 or 6 guys last summer alone and need 2 this year. Where do u guys find good help??????
  2. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Well, normally I just go to other companies and kidnap their best workers. However due to legal problems involved with kidnapping, lately I just market myself as I would to a customer, except in the opposite way. If I go to McDonalds or a carwash, or just wherever, I look for the best guy there and make sure to speak with him and introduce myself. Give the guy a card, be friendly, and say if he ever needs a job...
  3. bryand28

bryand28 LawnSite Member

i thought about going to the unemployment office and intercepting the people going in or coming out.
  4. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Odds are those guys are out of work for a reason. You want the guys with drive, eager to work, entheusiastic about their work, willing to learn, etc.
  5. bryand28

bryand28 LawnSite Member

yea i learned last year about that most people are out of a job for a reason. THEY DONT WANNA WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, the problem with some of those guys, is WE ARE THOSE GUYS!
    if you can find workers like that, you're doing very well though. if you can retain workers like that, even better yet for ya.
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Try a "temp agency" they usually have decent people and they screen all of their employees. The agency I am looking into also pays for the worker's comp. and all the other benefits as well. It will cost me around $9.00 to have them send me a guy and they are paying him almost $7.00/hr. And if that guy doesn't work out they will have another replacement on site within an hour. I'm looking into it a little further but the numbers are accurate
  8. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

Temp agencies scare me a bit, have a friend that deals with a lot of tempts at a shop he works at, usually arent the greatest workers. the idea of getting someone within a hour sounds good, problem with that though, who wants to keep training somoeone? I'm actually thinking about finding a mexican to work, my dad has one that works on the farm some in the winter, and works for a landcaper in the summer, hard worker. love to hire him, but i wont hire him away from another company.
  9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

That is just it - hiring away from another company. I have that all year long. I have good guys and then the local competitor LCO calls and calls my guys and says " I hire you for 50 cents more and then tell me who your customers are. I hate that tactic and wish he would LEAVE. But yes, good worker are hard to find and bad one are easy cuz I have noticed first question they ask "how much do I get paid" that tells me alot right there!
  10. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Temps are about like unemployment office people.But sometimes you do find a good one.The secret is to look long before you need them.How to keep 'em,
    well I am still working on that one>