1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good Help

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SCL GA, Aug 2, 2006.

1. SCL GA

SCL GA LawnSite Member

This is my second full year in business and things are going really well. I have been able to pick up enough accounts to warrant hiring on some employees. Here in lies my problem, I cannot find good employees. I have gone through four in the last seven months. I offer good pay and potential for growth with the company but have had no luck. I was hoping some of you guys that have been doing this a long time would have some advice. A little twist to this, I have a full time job and don't go out with the guys to mow. I started the company a year ago working Saturday's and Sunday's.
  2. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious, but how are you managing your folks when you are working another full-time job ? Are you meeting them in the field at all ? Are you inspecting their work, etc.... is it possible your folks are not working to your expectation level because they don't know what the expectations are ?

Good Luck ! I know in the Atlanta area it is difficult to find good help.
  3. SCL GA

SCL GA LawnSite Member

I meet with them each morning at seven and give them the days schedule. I try and look at as many of the jobs as I can but some definately get overlooked. They definately know the quality I expect but don't always deliver. I normally spend Saturday catching up and cleaning up.
  4. SP Lawn Care

SP Lawn Care LawnSite Member

You need to see their work before you hire them, if you dont like it dont hire them.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I was able to handle the problem better with a lot of beer.:laugh:

Welcome to the hardest part of this business.
    Best advice I can give-- slow to hire fast to fire.
    This was the reason for me to sell out- For the money it brought in it was not worth the hassle I had to put up with, But I had other sources of income that far out weighted it. so If you want to stick it out, you will have to train each in your ways and than monitor well. Keep communication as open as possible.

Good luck and if all else fails:drinkup:
  6. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

IMO your never going to find people that will service your clients,take care of your equipment,take pride in running your biz the way that YOU would. Maybe 25 years ago when taking pride in whatever you do meant something to people,nowadays people just flat don't care no matter the $ or how good you treat them. Old saying they don't make em like they used to.
  7. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I also have another FT job and try to work as few of hours as I can in the field. Over the past 5 years I have only been able to keep my one FT employee once for the whole season. I pay good as well, much better than the surraounding companies. I think it is the nature of the beast when it comes to this line of work. In fact my current employee has just told me that he will be leaving in 2 weeks to manage a retail store. So know I am looking for someone else to finish out the season. It used to really stress me out but I seem to handle it better now.
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

pretty much my only headaches this year involve my employees they drive me up a wall i need better ones
  9. SCL GA

SCL GA LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input, sounds like I'm not the only one dealing with this problem. I guess I will just keep at it and hope to find at least one good employee this year.
  10. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some advice now let me just say this isn't 100% that you will get good employees but it does definetly help we have found. Call your local SSM health clinic or what ever you may have that is close and find out how much they charge for a small business for pre-screening drug test. It can drastically improve your employee out come, But like I said this is not 100% definite.