1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spin2098, Feb 9, 2004.

1. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

This is going to be my 7th year in business. I started my business as a summer job and now has turned into something that I really love. I have to high school kids that work for me and my dad has helped me. My dad does not want to be involved and I am looking at having two crews going. I need to find someone who I can trust for a good right hand man. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find good reliable help?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it's hard. It too me 3 years before I finally found a good right hand man. The hardest part though is also once you find them, hanging onto them.

Ask around. Ask friends, family, other workers. They might be able to help out.
  3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

The best way to find help and keep them is to be able to provide year round pay. otherwise you'll never have anyone for any length of time. You have to budget that 3 month of payroll into your overhead. then they work 9 month and have three off with pay that is a real good way of keeping help..
  4. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Finding good help is difficult, I have one employee now and do not want the headaches of having any more. I do pay him very well and he is a work horse he is also in his 40s. most teenagers do not want to do this kind of work and if they do they will go and do it there self. So if you can look for a older guy that needs the work...
  5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I gabe up trying to find a good "right hand man". I am remaining solo.