Good Idea???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cuttingmaniac22, Jan 23, 2006.

1. cuttingmaniac22

cuttingmaniac22 LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, i was wondering if it would be a good idea to mow a church lawn for free. What I meen bye that is it is only about half acra all together and ALOT of people go there, and plus it is half a block away from me. I was thinking it may be a good way to advertise and get my name more out there. Also the lawn would take a total of 20 min to mow, edge, and trim. I would also do this because my church doesn't have enough money to make there lawn look really good.:rolleyes: Would you do it???

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

If it were me I personally wouldn't do it. I try to keep work and personal seperate and my work is landscaping and mowing lawns, my personal life is doing other things. I don't give deals to friends etc.. and I also don't expect them to ask me to do things for free. I am in this business to make money, not to pay my employees, gas, insurance, equipment costs, etc.. to not make any money. While it is a good thought, and you may look at it different then me, I personally don't give things away free.

If the church were in a bind for a couple of weeks because of the guy currently doing it etc.. then maybe for a couple of weeks. Why cant the members of the curch deligate this to members every couple of weeks?

3. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

There is nothing wrong with helping out the church,and it will bring more clients i would think. And the clients will no your cheap just cause you do the church for free.They will expect a cheapo price too.but couldn't you use the money to get better equipment and stuff you need. think about it before you get in over your head!!!

4. cuttingmaniac22

cuttingmaniac22 LawnSite Member

true true and when i meen bye mowing it i only meant for one or two weeks.I wouldn't keep on doing it because that wouldn't be money in my pocket. Thanks for the reply though

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Then I would help out!

6. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

The way I look at it is either the congregation kicks a little bit more into the plate every Sunday and pay to have it done. If the funds are still not available then the congregation should all take turns and do the mowing themselves.
    When you do it for free you aren't actually helping the church as much as you are providing a way for the congregation to not have to pay for essential upkeep. Charity begins at home.
    If you are a member of the church you should probably take your turn for free.

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Think the guy that works at the local power plant pays the hydro for the church? Think the gas station attendant pays for the gas in the minister's car?
    I agree with the free for a couple of cuts until they figure something out make sure they knwo this before you start.
    PS we mow the lawn at our church and they just announed that they are closing it. The catholic church is selling the church(that we paid for) and keeping the money. The property was donated years ago and now they are selling it too. They also expect us to pay off the last $74,000 on a $275,000 loan that we took out years ago to repair the church. We're still not sure what is going to happen to the cemetary where my wife's family is buried. Everyone around here is whining about it but I'm sure we're still going to lose.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I would do it in a heartbeat. And, not for the reason to have people see my work, with an end to getting more clients. Twenty minutes per week is a trivial service opportunity to your church. For those who see it differently, then we have a different idea of what the notion of a local community of believers is about.

With all the needs of a local congregation to maintain a building, property, etc, when opportunities arise that fit an area of expertise or service, the right thing is to utilize them for your Christian service. Obviously, reasonable bounds need to be placed on time and direct expenses, so that livelihood is not compromised. But, twenty minutes? I don't think so.

I clearly have a different approach to these matters than most on LS. I'm a small operator (40-45 customers), and about half are people I know from my church, and several others are friends. Only a few customers are people that I did not know before starting to work for them. I find all the discussion about "never family or friends" approach confusing. Is the issue wanting to be two different persons, one persona around business, and another around family and friends? I never feel anybody has taken advantage, rather quite the opposite, being generous with extra payments, referrals for other work, etc.

9. rodneyskip

rodneyskip LawnSite Member
    from KY

I think that since it is such a minimal time involved (20 minutes) that the potential for return is high. But if the church is struggling financially, so are many (most) in the congregation. I would think that you would not get a lot of jobs out of it, but possibly a few over the season.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

If you aren't going to do it out of charity in your heart to help your church and no strings attached,don't bother your not helping anything that way.Just remember..what goes around comes around