Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by texas, Feb 20, 2006.

1. texas

texas LawnSite Member

even though my name is texas, i live in louisiana, south of lafayette. in it is a subdivision w/ 3-400 houses, each w/ about 2500 sq ft. im thinkin about advertising there. say i could mow at least 4 lawns an hour at $25 each. 100 bucks an hour. if you know how big lafayette is, there are about 20 lawn companies. the drive to this area would be about 20 minutes. so is it worth it? do you think id get a lot of accounts?

ps alot of these people are doctors ect. so they dont really have time to mow. just wonderin if it was worth it.

THANKS.:) :) :usflag: :dancing: :laugh: :waving: :cool2: :headphones: :laugh: :walking: :clapping: :weightlifter: :rolleyes: ;) :confused: :canadaflag:
  2. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good area to advertise at...although you'll never know how good an area is going to be until you put yourself out there and remember it takes time to build up your clientle so dont get discouraged if you dont get 100 accounts right off the bat. Sounds like a decent place to start though.
  3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

yep, might as well at least try. if one doesnt try, one will never know if it will work.
  4. texas

texas LawnSite Member

its all fenced in yards so ill probably use my 36"wb. that about right?
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good place to start! If you should land a doctors house the doctor may refer you to his patients and maybe let you cut his office property. He might also let you put some biz cards in the office. Might give you a little bit of an advantage!
    If it was ME, I'd give it a go!
  6. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

I dont see a doctor refering you to his patiants, maybe the office property though.
  7. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Competition is great. 20 other companies is nothing. Use the competition as a motivational tool. Do a quality job and who knows, maybe you'll win over some of their accounts. You'll never know until you get in there and try. I'd go for it.
  8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

definatly sounds like a no brainer to me. I wish down here we could pull tight routes but then again my average property is 10 times that size. New subdivisious here but alot of competition. I bid $535 a month on a particular property and they agreed but prior to signing the contract some jerky head bid 350 per month!:realmad: Just keep your quality up. Dont shoot for being the cheapest if your the best.

On another note try and find out what other guys are charging in the same area. If they are 20 you might find resistance at 25 UNLESS you can offer more value. I find offering 10% off any additional work for regular customers works very well for me.

1 residential I just maintain the beds once a month for $369. Key selling point for them is they wouldnt have to pay me to bedscape 912 ft again. I also try to create a sence of trust. I knocked 20 cents off my original bedscaping fee per foot for this lady due to the large amounts and this made her feel great. Easy to upsell anything within reason to her now.

A note on refferals. I rememeber someone on here saying instead of giving credits for refferals (1 free mow =25 bucks) which is something they dont actually see give them a gift card to go out and eat. I have tried this twice with excellent results.

Bottom line dont let a sub division where everything is tight and close slip by you. Hit it with doorhangers and get r done!
  9. texas

texas LawnSite Member

im gonna give it a go. thanks for the input.

BTW i know i can get one account. my friend lives there and i already called him. 2 YEAR CONTRACT.:eek:
  10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you are on your way then! Best of Luck!!!