Good Info about Oil.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Precision, Nov 28, 2006.

1. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

10w-30 is no good anymore way to thin since Kawi changed specs last Sept. actually getting past rings.

They are recommending 10w-40 but now 20w-50 I am reading since drought has taken over most the US we been hit by about 2 months now last few weeks seen temps at constant 100+ with humidity, friday was 114 at 11:30am and going to be back to that the rest of week looks like.

I had to move grades even my dealer has JD only supplies 10w-30 to it's full green dealers so I am just getting mine by the case off EBAY ships directly from Kawisaki, now I gotta move to 20w-50 so waiting to see if he will be supplying cases of that.

oil-chart.png

I pay $78 for a case of true K-Tech I have seen quarts last year of it up to $13 a pop. I change oil every 50hours on the mark.

20160608_171003.jpg

ericg likes this.
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Read the Magnuson Moss act. Basically it's a federal law that protects consumers from manufacturers dictating that you must use a certain product or your warranty is void. Many vehicle manuals will say synthetic only. Reality is you can run synthetic, conventional or any type you want and they have to honor the warranty.

southerntide likes this.
  3. Patriot Services

I still stick to 15w50 Mobil 1 for the mowers. I got a great deal on 5w20 Royal Purple jugs and filtets, so that's what's going in the Tundras this weekend.

ericg likes this.
  4. ericg

ericg LawnSite Silver Member

Patriot, the problem with the Mgnuson Moss act is that if there is a dispute over warranty repairs, you have to prove that maintenance was performed at the specific interval. It does not bode well for the owner operator who performs his own work unless he keeps detailed records and reciepts for material like oil and filters. In addition, we had a claim denied for a cracked crank gear on a CH680 Kohler because they said we did not use Kohler filters. We pushed it all the way to where the district rep came to the shop but ultimately, Kohler would not honor the warranty. We were using Group 7 filters and Kohler said that because the oil was not filtered as well, it caused the failure.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  5. Patriot Services

Whose Ricky? Anywho, this should have been interpreted by a court not a rep. Its a law and not open to manufactures choosing how they want to apply it.

ericg likes this.
  6. ericg

I meant Patriot Too early in the morning.

7. ericg

Patriot, you are 100% correct but my boss at the time, did not have the money to pay the lawyers fees. And with the way the courts rule as of late, there was no guarantee he would win. Kohler has much deeper pockets and a floor of lawyers ready for situations like this. And again, it does not help the poor owner who does his own work and cant prove thst he changed the oil at the specified time.
    The warranties that most manufacturers offer are a bunch of weasel words made to protect them, not the consumer.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  8. Patriot Services

I hear ya Eric. It takes time and money to fight the power even when we are righter than rain. Us little guys will always get the shaft.

southerntide and ericg like this.
  9. ericg

Patriot, truer words were never spoken. Thank you for all of your input. It is much appreciated.

10. Prairie moon

Prairie moon LawnSite Member
    from Mn

Kind of oil you recommend then in my toro z593 with the Kubota diesel