Good Info about Oil.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Precision, Nov 28, 2006.

1. hwew

hwew LawnSite Member

This is all I use in my air cooled engines. lots of hours on some of them and they still do not use oil between oil changes.

Best spec's I know of for air cooled engines.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with you I just switched everything over to synthetic.

3. Joe McMo

Joe McMo LawnSite Member

Turfeater, please don't do that! Using 50wt. in a 30 wt. is awful. 30 wt molecules are a certain size lets say 30 microns/ 50 wt, oil has molecules that are say 50 microns/// too thick, you are forcing 50's in a space designated for size 30. You are wearing the engine out slowly this way.
    The 10/30-30wt. amsoil small engine oil is full synthetic and is designed for that 30wt. classification.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

We have been able to make synthetic gasoline since at least the 20's, Google Bergius process. During WWII, the Germans produced 92% of their aviation gasoline this way.

The process is quite a bit more expensive than our current $4.00 a gallon gas, so...

5. lubricity

lubricity LawnSite Member

No matter who tries to teach you about oil. It is skewed to sell their brand of oil. We have been selling lube products fo 20 years. It is amazing how they cum up with rah rah bulls---.
    Single wieght oils are basicly obsolete for land based craft.

6. Dr. Godfrey

Dr. Godfrey LawnSite Member

Another great place of info on oil the simple man can understand is www.bobistheoilguy.com. All based on easy tests.Again Schaeffer is a great proformer.:cry:

7. Wizz

Wizz LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

W indeed stands for Winter, not weight. I agree that bobistheoilguy is a great site, I've learned a lot just by reviewing the various oil analysis posted on that site.

8. irishcreek95

irishcreek95 LawnSite Member

My dealer told me to use straight 30 wt in my new kohler but the manual and stickers on the engine say use 10w-30. Also manual says do not use synthetic until after 50 hours. Got any suggestions?

9. Briggs Man

Briggs Man LawnSite Member
    from Toronto

I don't know for sure which is the best oil but i try to use either 10w30 or sae30 i find the engine will always run good , i think the most important thing is not what brand or type as long as you just keep up with your oil changes and do them often especially when doing alot of work with them so there is always good lubrication

10. Road Ruler

Road Ruler LawnSite Member

My JD F525 Kaw engine has a sticker on the side of the engine that states 10W/30 oil yet the JD maintenance pkg for the F525 contains straight 30 Oil. Hummmm!:confused: