Good Info about Oil.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Precision, Nov 28, 2006.

1. bigmower1

bigmower1 LawnSite Member

Lets do this then, if you have a motor that has synthetic oil in it and has ran with it for a few oil changes, go change the oil out and put regular back in and you will see.

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I have.

It's literally not possible. I've worked on hundreds of cars and haven't had one issue
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. inHaliburton

inHaliburton LawnSite Member

Sorry bigmower, but that's a myth. You can switch back and forth between syn and non-syn oils with no ill effects. OCI is less with dino oils, of course. I've been using syn oils for decades and doing oil changes with dino oils when not available. Amsoil is the company that started synthetics. I believe their products to be among the best in the World. www.bobistheoilguy.com is considered to be the authority. Suggest you post your experience on one of the forums over there.

4. TRDye76

TRDye76 LawnSite Member

Please keep this stickied! I found it very useful.

5. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

6. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no way switching between types of oil will cause an engine to break down. Syn oil is a little bit "slicker",will last longer for extended oil change intervals, and can handle hot and cold cycles better than dyno oil. But as long as the engine has clean oil, is changed regularly, it will last awhile. Nowwith hat being said, some oil companies have better base oils and additive packages that will provide better cushion between metal to metal parts, resulting in less wear and tear. When breaking in a new engine, it is recommended to use dyno oil because you need a little wear to " mate" the rings and cylinder walls together to provide a better seal, but after that period you can switch to syn oil for the remaining life of the engine or go back and forth between types of oil the engine doesn't care. There is so much misinformation on this site, I feel sorry for anyone that believes what they read.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

This is great info that you don't need to be a petroengineer to understand. Which the majority should stick to. Read and follow the manual, match your favorite brand of oil to the manual specs. As usual there will be guys that have their own beliefs and wonder why they have problems,but that keeps mechanics and parts houses in business.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  8. GUYWITHTHEGOLDENGUN

GUYWITHTHEGOLDENGUN Banned

As far as i know ive always ran opti-4 it comes in a blue octane booster looking bottle and its been great along with amsoil brand and yamalube. If u run opti-4 and register ur mower they will double ur engine warrenty also

9. OhioJDguy

OhioJDguy LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I tell you what, this topic has opened my eyes to a better understanding of oil applications and how to apply them effectively. On a previous thread of mine I had asked about synthetic blends as I was hitting the break in period for my new commercial Z. I was going to use valvoline synthetic blend for the hydros.

Boy did that kick off a firestorm. I have the zt-3400 hydros and called hydro gear and spoke with the tech who said they use straight conventional 20w50 from the factory. I just ended up going with the valvoline full synthetic syntec oil in the 20w50. The hydros run smooth as butter and no whining in the pumps at all. i did the same in the engine.

10. shivelyt

shivelyt LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

For over 30 years I used Fram filters with no problems. I started reading posts about their cardboard ends all over the internet,so I stopped using them a few years ago. After reading the letter from Fram, I might consider using them again.
    Tom