Good investment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chilehead, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I have read in other threads that when one advertises, a response rate of .2-.3% can be expected. I plan on advertising in a well-read newspaper pretty soon. The circulation is 500,000 on any given day. If I were to place a classified on 4 Sundays, a .2% response would be 4000 calls. I think this number is ridiculous and not at all real. 20-50 calls (for the month) seems more realistic. What have some of you experienced? The ad is in the "services listed" section of the classifieds.
  2. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Honestly, here in the Atl metro area that would be a waste because of some many people going door to door or putting flyers on doors. Yeah, alot of people read the paper, but not many open the paper here to find a might have a better chance doing on ONLINE with AJC.COM or YELLOW PAGES. com IMO....The day of the paper is slowly coming to a end. Internet traffic is so much higher.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry so much about the response rate, that's for flyers.
    The newspaper I advertise in goes out to every household in the county, I can get anywhere from 3-4 to 10 calls / day but not much more. Also I wouldn't do classifieds, you'll attract nothing but price shoppers.

Try a small box ad, like a 1 x 2.
    4 Sundays will give you some decent test results, you can then opt for a bigger ad, more days / week, or stay where you are.
  4. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

Yea you have to remember something about using a newspaper. Sure it goes out to 500,000 readers, but how many of them read the classifieds? If one in 15 or 1 in 20 actually reads the classifieds, you realistically are looking at one in 25,000 at most. Then you have to figure that there are other landscaping ads in there.

I like topsites advice. Topsite, do you have a good example that you have run with any success?
  5. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

The Direct Marketing Association ( calculated the average response rates for a number of industries:
    According to The DMA's Response Rate Study

Media Response Rates (%)
    E-Mail 0.99
    DRTV 0.27
    Inserts 1.46
    Direct Mail 1.61
    Dimensional Mail 3.46
    Radio 0.38
    Catalog 2.32
    Telephone 5.73
    Coupons 2.78
    Newspaper 0.14
    FSIs 0.09
    Magazine 0.13

Direct Marketing Association
    2003 Response Rate Study

Direct mailed fliers/oversize postcards to targeted neighborhoods you would hope to get 16 responses out of 1000 mailed

A large newspaper ad the same size as the postcard would only get 1 out of each 1000 circulation.

Blow in a coupon insert in the newspaper to equal the direct mail piece 14 / 1000

The newspaper ad must also be near the size of the mail piece to compare apples to apples.

Don't let the delivered cost of a postcard overide the cheaper price of the newspaper. You can target neighborhoods with direct mail, you waste money with the newspaper.

really waste your money and pay for the ultimate non target...yellow pages
  6. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Thanks for your help, fellas. I value your input. When I started, it was with a 4-line classified ad in the newspaper in autumn. Got 20 calls, but the circulation was much less.
  7. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I run a small color ad with logo occasionally in a suburban newspaper(services section. not classified ads) that is inserted in the larger news. It targets where I want to mow, looks good, cheaper and I get a few calls on average per 100 dollars spent. I have landed enough customers either temporary or permanent to pay for the add and then some. You need to experiment.
  8. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

this would be a X.002 not.02