Good Leaf/Debris Loader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QuadRacer041, Nov 19, 2007.

1. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have decieded what type of mount i'm going to go with (hitch mount w/reciever welded to the back on my mason dump) what brand should I go with?
    Fradan, Little Wonder, Lesco, Billy Goat or Giant Vac? Looking for it to have a 16hp or so engine. All that I have mentioned have dealers in my area. My local Mower shop recommends the Fradan with the 16hp vangaurd and elec start. He's selling it for $2500 and says it has the most for my money. My Lesco dealer has one with a 16hp vangaurd for $2300. From what I can see the Goat and the Giant Vac are more expensive, are they worth the extra price? If so why?

2. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

Many of the units you mentioned are good units. However, you get what you are paying for. A cheaper price usually indicates something is missing. The Billy Goat truckloaders have liners in them, the discharge can swivel 360 without tools, safety kill devices at the housing intake (safety is big with us) if the housing wears out you can replace it (on others it's welded to the frame and engine base) and are made in the US (other are welded in China or elsewhere and assembled here).

We are a family held company who's been in business since 1968, introducing our first truckloader in the early 80's. We are one of the sponsors here. Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you.

3. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the most cfm. I bought a trac vac and put it up against the billy goat and it out performed it hands down. I will say that the billy goat is built very well. They do lack the sucking power tho.

4. el toro

el toro LawnSite Member

I just bought a billy goat truck loader w/ the 11 h.p. engine. The guys who sold it said it would be plenty strong enough to do what I wanted with it, but it doesnt have enough suction. Am I stuck with it or can I trade up. Only been used once.

5. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 16hp lesco(salsco) this year and have been very happy with it. I also looked at others but went with lesco because it was the best bang for the buck I think I paid $2200 because it was on sale. It's built very good and performs great. I wouldn't go below 16hp, 25hp would be nice but I don't use it enough to justify getting one yet. I think someone here has a billy goat with a 25hp robin, thats probably what I would get if I needed a bigger one.

6. QuadRacer041

you have any pictures of your setup?

7. SimonCX

I would have to take pic's because I don't have any at the time but I'll try to get some tomorrow. I have the loader mounted to the front of the traler just above the railing so I can pick up leaves on both side. It only takes about 18" off the front of the trailer but it gives me room for a walk behind blower on one side and a backblower on the other side plus I can still keep the tool bax on the tongue for gas cans. The box is on a dump inset and built up about 40" and the back is on a hing on top, so the higher I raise the bed it opens more. The only problem I had was finding a tarp that would work. I finally got a HD mesh tarp on ebay thats made for dump truck and work great. Also I had to get my dad to weld up an square extension tube from the loader to the box. This has been working for me because I always have my trailer when doing cleanups and the loader is mounted soild so theres no chance of it coming off down the road or removing it when dumping. Also everything comes apart in about a hour if I need to take it apart. I though about mounting the loader to the truck but I didn't like have 300lbs hanging on the tailgate.

8. QuadRacer041

cool that would be great.

9. SimonCX

Finally got some pic's

loader1.jpg

loader2.jpg

loader3.jpg

10. QuadRacer041

looks great, thanks