Good Lesson......... READ!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A-Land, Apr 23, 2008.

1. A-Land

A-Land LawnSite Senior Member

Just thought I would mention what happened to me today. Scared me pretty bad, and I learned a major lesson.

First of all, here in MA, we have strict licensing guidelines. You can get your license at 16 and a half, and are on something called a "JOL" or Junior Operator License until you turn 18. During that period, penalties are significantly increased. For instance, a speeding ticket over age 18 can just be paid off, but under 18 it is an automatic 60 day license suspension. So all of the penalties are like that......

Anyway, I worked most of the day, was up early and worked through the afternoon. (School vacation week, I'm 17 in high school) I put all the equipment away, took a shower, etc... I ended up going out with my girlfriend mini-golfing, blah blah blah. On the way home, I was halfway talking to her while driving. Sure enough, came to a light I've been through 10,000 times, just as I'm approaching it it goes orange, and I went right through. I didn't see it go red, but I could have stopped. Half a second later.. the blue lights go on behind me, pull over, turn the car off, and start ****ing my pants. This kind of violation, if it went through, is 60 day suspension no questions asked. With customers all around town, that means no business. NO driving at all. And then to be reinstated, a $500 fee. That's the minimum.

So the cop comes up to the window, asks a few questions, asks if I knew what I did wrong (which I admitted I should have stopped), hand over license and registration, and he goes back to his car. That was 100% the scariest minute of my life. He comes back to the car, makes sure we are both wearing seatbelts, asks where we are going and where we were, hands me both the license and registration back, and says be careful, go ahead home. No warning, no ticket, just walked back to his car and took off.

Take whatever lesson you want, but it taught me a lot. Always concentrate, driving, mowing, whatever. Mowers are dangerous, and spending hours using one every day we all tend to doze off. You can't though, you always have to be alert.

As for the obvious lesson, if I had been ticketed my business would have shut down. There would be no way for me to go job to job, and by the time I was ready all my customers would have found somebody else. With mowing starting this week, it's a hell of a time for that to happen. That's going from a 20K + job for me after taxes and insurance, to nothing.

So, I really learned my lesson, probably more than the officer knows. For anybody reading, just always remember to stay alert. There are so many things to forget to do and to mess up while working in this industry, you have to be careful.

2. A-Land

*Please don't say I'm a dummy. I didn't post this for that kind of comment. * Yes, I know that I should have been ticketed... And it's by some scary power I wasn't.

3. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I learned that it sucks to be under 18 in MA :).

4. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

That would be the power God gave all of us, free will.

5. A-Land

No there have been some serious problems with drunk driving and speeding mostly, so they kicked the penalties up for everything. I agree with the penalties. Of course, because I never speed (My 2.7 Liter Ranger only goes so fast anyway!) I get caught doing this.......

6. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

You did a good thing by not stopping at that light. The mowers could have rammed forward, damaged your trailer and possibly jackknifed. The worst part of it all is that the police expect us to stop knowing full well its going to cost us extra cash to stop and then go again............especially with the cost of fuel. It takes more to stop and go than to just run a light and keep a steady and constant speed.

I am jsut playing........im tired. Glad you got off but in all seriousness, you have probably saved atleast one persons life on this site with this post (seriously). Someone, somewhere will think about this post at some point in their life and choose to stop. That my friend is what being fellow l'scraper is all about. Making a difference.:canadaflag:

7. A-Land

Let me just tell you, I'm heading to Lowes and Lesco tomorrow for some stuff, and I think I will be stopping at every light, green or red, just for good measure.... hahaha

8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably what saved you is you didn't act like a spoiled punk and you didn't lie. It's a cops choice if he wants to ticket you (except for DUI) , and your actions will go a long way in determining if he does. Look for a book called "Speeders guide to avoiding speeding tickets" It is the funniest book I have ever read and the most informational on how to handle officer neck vain.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

No, I don't think you learned your lesson. No where in your post lead me to believe that you have even considered what the worst outcome of you running a red light could have been. What if you caused an accident thats the reason we don't run red lights. Who cares about your mowing business.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

good post.