Good morning everyone, couple questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chevyman1, Dec 19, 2003.

1. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi there everyone. I'm a 26 year-old sales account manager who since I was 15, have been mowing lawns and doing some small landscaping on the side. It is now my intention to start my own company within a couple years. Last year, I did 12 places and some other jobs with a 48" Ferris Ultra Belt I picked up for $2,100....so far for the 2004 season, I recently won a development job to mow all the common lawn areas (20 cul-de-sac cirlces and roadsides, etc)...this is about an 8 hour job 1x per week. I have put down a deposit on a new Ferris IS100Z 52 inch mower as well, bought a 6X12 trailer, which tows behind my 2001 Silverado Z71 extended cab. I have an Echo and a Red Max trimmer (27 and 31cc's respectively), a John Deere push, Stihl gas powered trimmers and a blower, and a pull-behind fertilizer and aerator...what other tips would you recommend for this business top get cranked up. My costs this year will be $10,000 plus the wage of my brother (college kid) who will be working for me on the side, while I mow nights and weekends....The development was 9,000 and the other accounts will add up to about 5k more....my goal is to have 50-60 homes per week and 1 more semi-big place like the development. I am going door to door for my services soon, how should I go about this and when?

2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to lawnsite.
    Well, you didn't give your location, and I'm too lazy, er busy, to look up your zip code, so the best I can tell you is to pull up a chair and start reading this sites archives.
    Then, start a thread entitled with a clue as to your question, and try again. A lot of people will not even read a thread that gives no clue to its content.
    To answer your question of "when?" the best time to do anything is "now". Start designing advertisements and flyers, business cards, etc. Get some shirts screen-printed or embroidered with your logo. Maybe a hat to match. Signs, or lettering, for your truck. Oh, yeah, about that truck. You've still got time to get a Ford before spring. ;)
    Crawdad

3. chevyman1

Thanks, I will re-do it....One thing that will never been seen in my driveway or attached to my mowers is a piece of sh*t Ford....Chevy's are #1 for a reason

4. crawdad

Ya, Let me guess the reason they sell so many Chevy's is because they have to be replaced, while the Ford keeps on truckin.

Ha, ha :laugh:

Ford invented autos and trucks, everything since has been imitation.:D

Crawdad

5. chevyman1

Ford may have invented it, and the old ones are awesome...but over the last 10 years, Chevy has taken over you have to admit that. In upstate NY Albany area where I live...Out of 10 truck on the rd, 5 are Chevy's, 2 Fords, 2 Dodge, and 1 a Mazda/Toyota...just how it is...us farm kids are brand loyal

6. crawdad

Yeah, us farm boys are, aint we?
    Down here in Tennessee, it's hard to tell what brand they are, as the tailgates are gone on most of 'em.
    The new trucks, I don't know, I don't check them out. They try to hard to look like big rigs. My newest is a 95, looks very similar to the mid-80's pickups.
    Hey, my wife has a Chevy, and I ride in it once in a while.
    Crawdad

7. chevyman1

You are a good guy man, sounds all too familiar from up here. Hope you have a great Christmas buddy, take care. Oh, and in terms of farm equipment (my dad is part of a big co-op farm now) we are diehard Internationals and John Deere's

8. Green Gopher

Green Gopher LawnSite Member

We all lost when International stopped making trucks. They still make a hell of a tractor.