Good Mulching 21

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SprinklerGuy, Mar 7, 2005.

1. OK...I lied...one more time on the mower deal. Let me explain.

Those that have been following the trials and tribulations of a certain sprinkler guy trying to reinvent himself, please be patient with me.

I was considering a 36 or 32 walkbehind exmark viking and many other mowers.....but since then I have gone and looked at my target market....ugh.

Gates are less than 33 inches wide most of them...and the lawn areas are less than 3k sq.ft. So....why overthink this right?

Mow them with a 21 I suppose.

Leads me to this question....

Since I will be mulching Blue grass...what is the best 21 inch mulching mower and why?

Thanks, I am almost sure this will be the last question on the mower issue! I'll start w/ blowers and trimmers next.

Thanks in advance for your patience and your info.

2. usmc2033

usmc2033 LawnSite Member

Sprinkler Guy, I do not claim to be an expert, but feel I made some good choices when I first got going five years ago. For 21's I got Snapper residential models, about $400 apiece. I am still using them. Now they are looking tired, but they have been super. All small engines stuff is stihl. I am still using all my orginal equipment. Hope this helps.

3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The general consensus is that Honda and Toro make the best 21". Between the two is mostly personal preference. Of course, this has been worn out but I will say it anyways - Buy commercial quality only if you plan on doing this much.

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Toro Proline 21's they bag and mulch great. We have two Toro's one is 5 years old the other is 2 year old and they still perform like new. The only thing we have done is routine maintenance, they are pricey but worth it.