Good name for YP advertising

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fulano, May 17, 2006.

1. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I think that people who look in the YP and find out there are hundreds of lawncare services to choose from are overwhelmed. Therefore, I want a name which will be at the top. Something that is used in nearly every city.

AAA Affordable lawn care
    AAA-1 lawn care
    AAAA mowing

Which comes first AAA or AAA1 or AAA-1 ??

Something that is first but doesn't sound too stupid is best. Any other suggestions?

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I do not like YP so I would create a name that sounds good all around- not like a cut rate shop that just plays the YP game. Also hard to target with YP.
    Take the $750 you pay to YP and buy a blade sharpener so your lawns always look good and do great work and word of mouth will beat any YP Just my opinion

3. fulano

The YP game works pretty good if you do it right and get lucky where the column starts. Here is about $40 a month to have a bold listing which is all I want. If I don't get at least a few calls and jobs from that I'll be surprised. One $80/mo. job will pay for the listing over 6 months. I do not plan on an ad just a bold listing. Advertising is cheap in this area where I want to cut grass.

4. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Everything i have heard about YP advertising... Keep at the top or be at the bottom.... Those are the ones that recieve the most calls because it's easy, the mind tends to find the easy number to call unless they already know the co. they want and are just searching...

All Clear

5. fulano

I like AAA Affordable lawn care. It gets me to the top or at least close up there. Sticks out because of the Affordable. Unlike AAA Lawn service, AAA Affordable comes before lawn, unless someone has AAAA or AAA1 I think...

6. Joey bag a' donuts

Joey bag a' donuts LawnSite Member

IMO, I think basing your decision for a company name on how close to the top in the yellow pages you will be is a bad idea. There are many ways to advertise that with a good solid, creative name is going to be more beneficial to you in the long run. Remember, your company name says a lot.Take your time with it. Also be carefull of using words like "Affordable" or "Budget" ect...cause not only does it gaurentee 90% of your calls to be expecting a dirt cheap price its also quite generic and wont get your phones ringing like you may expect. Instead of trying to catch eyes with promises of being the "Cheapest" or most "affordable" in town think about words that express the quality and attention that you give your customers. This way you can charge for "great" service and not just the cheap kind. Good luck to ya.:drinkup:

7. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely Cheap Lawn Service!!

That should get you somewhere near the top!

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Joey for a simple reason: I learned the hard way that if you cheat your way to the top, you attract some funny customers if you attract anyone at all. Does it work? Yes, I got a TON of attention but most was short-lived, they all left at once soon as they realized they had been tricked, that's if they even got that far... This was many years ago, but...

So what I learned is people are not stupid, most will know at once what that AAAA+++ guy was thinking at the time, and they may not feel too keenly about doing business with someone who had no problem cheating at the YP, so to speak.

I mean, I'm not too happy about being an S-name company somedays but that is the name I picked and it had nothing to do with advertising because I had by that time learned my lesson, which is to pick the name you want and nevermind the alphabet, just pick the name you want and leave it be.

As for the YP, if you're paying to be listed in there, don't you have some control over what category you wish to be listed in? If so, there is more than one category that likely closely fits your business model, and I guarantee not every category has 200+ listings... If I ever get listed, I'm going under Lawn care instead of Landscaping because Lawn care only has 8 guys :)
    Yes, Landscaping may get more googles but with 200+ listings I'd still rather be in Lawn care even if it gets looked at 100 times less.

Also, agreed: Stay away from any words indicating low prices such as cheap, affordable, economical, etc... If you have to focus on price, then go with something indicating high prices, such as quality, luxury, and so on. As for me, I stayed away from both so I wouldn't have to live up to either one because somedays I don't feel like being all that, either. Nowadays I have a variety of both extremes of customers and everything in between...

9. MowForLess

MowForLess LawnSite Member

A Cut Above Lawn Care
    Aardvark Lawn Care "Serving all Ants and Uncles!"
    ZZz Lawn Care "You sleep, We Mow"

Need I go on?

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, those are pretty good because it skirts the issue... One might wonder what you were thinking, but it can't be said for sure.

You've changed my opinion of this method.