Good news and bad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, May 14, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Good news is I just took delivery of a new Scag SWZU 36" Hydro floating deck WB with 15HP Kawasaki.

The bad news is that its way longer than my old Fixed deck 36", and it wont fit on my 12' trailer with my 52" Tiger cub (without special provisions). I was placing the push mower beside the 36" WB up in the front, and putting the 52" ZTR behind them.
    It looks like I will have to put the Push mower on the truck (sucks), put the 36" in the front (centered), and straddle the WB with the ZTR casters.

It will fit this way but its going to be a back breaker loading the push mower all the time. Also the weight distribution is going to suck. Looks like a need a bigger trailer.

2. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Can you show us a picture of the setup?

Maybe someone can offer a solution less expensive than a new trailer.
  3. Jimbo

I can get a photo but it wont be until the weekend. I have some moving the front of the trailer railing further up towards the tongue. I only need a few inches if I remove my ZTR trailer hitch.

The bad part is single 12' floor boards will no longer work if I do that. Its a shame the mower is that long because there is no reason for it to be like that. There is about 3-4" between the front tires and the deck. I guess they made one from for 36"-52" decks to fit on???

4. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

I saw something the other day where the owner cut out the lower 12" of the front of the trailer so the wheels and the castors 'stuck out' in front of the trailer. So the front view is the sold piece with two wheels sticking through. Looked funny but it worked.
  5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Try turning it sideways. Or cut out the piece right in front of your tongue and move it forward to allow for the caster wheels. BTW it is made that way for balance. The added weight of the hydro pumps and such shifts more weight to the rear.
  6. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Can you weld some kind of ramp on the front of your trailer?I did this to get about 4" of space for a tractor once.Ran the front wheels up the ramps.Maybe you can do this with the Tiger.
  7. Jimbo

Thanks for the replies. There are a few things I can do. I will take a good hard look at it this weekend. I will get some pics too.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Are you sure it won't all work? I can get my 52" Scag hydro w/b, 61" three wheel rider (big) and 21" bagger all on my 6.5x12' trailer. It's a squeeze but works fine. Here is a pic of edward hedrick's 6x12 with a 61" three wheel rider and 52" Toro w/b and 21" mower. I have mine on a little bit different but not much. Will get a pic of mine later. Try backing the w/b in with the handlebars over the front rail then put the Z in? Or put the w/b in angled a bit so it takes alittle less space.

9. Jimbo

I'll post a pic and then you can see for yourself. I dont think there is an (easy) way to get all three on the trailer.
    Backing the WB on might help but it would be a PITA to try and load and unload it that way. I would have to grab the handles and climb over the front railing in order to put it on and take it off.
    I was going build a side ramp, but the mower is too long for that also. My trailer is actually 5'8" x 12' inside the rails.

I can modify the trailer but it might be time for new.

Maybe I can have a double decker? Anyone know of a trailer which has a upper rack in the front for push mowers?

10. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Is your trailer tongue long enough to make a small platform and ramp to hold your push mower without damages on turns? Have seen a number of guys around here with that setup. They don't need it for room, just to have a separate storage space for the push, so it doesn't have to be moved unless needed.