1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

good news today...a little help also?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mrbray101, Jan 24, 2006.

1. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

Today I went and hung about 100 door hangers. After I got back I had a message already wanting an estamate. One lady wanted her hedges trimmed from about 10 feet back to 6 feet. I told her 400 and that Id be there thursday morning. She happens to be the president of the neighborhood and also wants me to take care of the entrance to the neighborhood. Told her 140 a month. It is not much grass with a little hedging.

Now the tricky part. She wants the wall in the front of the neighborhood cut back. It is a wall with overgrow fig ivy covering it. The wall is 6 feet so I wont need a ladder or anything. I would guess it is about 800 feet long. I estimated that It would take about 16 hours total including about 5 12 mile roundtrips to the dump. I havent told her a price yet, she said dont be cheap because the neighborhood is willing to pay for it. After doing my calculations and everything I came up with 1085. Does this sound unreasonable, what would some of you estimate it at. I havent really estimated anything quite this large so it seems like a high price to me but im not sure. Any help is appreciated. Thanks yall.
  2. mrbray101

I noticed nobody is making any comments. I dont want a full out estimate for me. I kinda just want to know if this price is too high and will freak out the lady or if its is fairly close to normal. Thanks everyone.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds high shoot a high bid the first 2 seconds you will know if she goes for it.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

What type of wall is it? Block, wall stone? Are you doing both sides? If the vines are strongly attached to the wall and you have to dig them off with a knife it just might take you 16 hours to do it. Most of us on here have a set labor rate per hour. Mine happens to be $60 ph for 2 men. $20 per yard dump. A little cheap but there's heavy competition in my area.
  5. mrbray101

It is a 6' block wall. The ivy is very overgrown in some spots and hardly needs trimming in some spots. I am only doing the front side which is visible from the road. I think that I will give her a quote of close to 1000 and see what she says.
  6. o it grew landscaping

o it grew landscaping LawnSite Member

if the community is paying, they wont mind forking out that much to get rid of it, i think that is an average price, seems like your giving away your trips to the dump for free....
  7. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Make your quote an odd number.

$1042.00 or $987.00

8. fugate1

fugate1 LawnSite Member

Don't leave out your cost for dumping. Also some type of vines can be a nightmare to get rid of. Good Luck, and may you be blessed financially this year.

Chris Fugate
  9. mrbray101

Thanks for all the replies. I did her hedge trimming at her house today. She is a very nice lady, i charged 400 and worked from 9-3 and have about an hour left of cleaning up some of the leaves etc that I didnt get today. I gave her the estimate for the wall. She said she just has to email some of the other people, i guess in the neighborhood and shell get back with me. I ended up at 985 and she didnt seem to think it was high. I actually think that there will only be three trips to the dump now at about 8 bucks per plus gas. I think I did ok for my first large estimate. Currently when I do large jobs that take a day or more my goal has been to make make 400 a day and Ive been hitting real close to that lately. Thanks for all the advice everyone, this site has helped so much.