Good or bad buy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by NicaDeli, Sep 30, 2013.

1. NicaDeli

NicaDeli LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, I bought this mower (2004 Toro ProLine SFS 30403) over the weekend for $500, do you think I got it for a decent price? I was looking for a cheap 36" to start with because all I have are two 21" honda mowers. It starts up after 3-4 pulls and it cuts fine but the only problem so far is there's a gas leak in the engine. I was planing on replacing the engine after this one dies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Nicadeli

2. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

For 500 bucks seems like a decent deal

3. IAvet

IAvet LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I traded in a 44" belt driven pro line in less than average condition and got $900 from the dealer so I'd say you got a steal on it. I wasn't expecting half that for it.

4. NicaDeli

NicaDeli LawnSite Member

That's good to know. I was worried for a bit because I thought I payed more than what it's worth.

Thanks,
    Delis

5. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Floating deck! You got a good deal alright!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

For $500 I'd be worried that it was stolen, also those engines don't leak gas, not like that anyhow... Probably you need to fix the carburetor float mechanism and if fuel has gotten inside the engine you need to change the oil and filter immediately because it has been contaminated, and the longer you wait to fix that fuel leak situation the more often you get to change oil and filter (like try daily) and if you don't change the oil and filter that thousand dollar 15hp Kohler won't last long at all.

7. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Even a broken clock is right twice a day;-) Herler hit it on the head I think. That mower should fetch double that. Even with pistol grips. Easy carb to service. Probably just a bit of dirt in the needle and seat. Factory fuel filter was 80 micron on those if I remember. They probably picked up some crud, then changed the filter afterward.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. NicaDeli

NicaDeli LawnSite Member

I hope it wasn't stolen. I'll save the sellers info just in case.

Thanks,
    NicaDeli