Good or bad customer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TURFLORD, Aug 30, 2006.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer @ $35 a wk. Last year the tab got to $1100. I went to Small Clains and dropped papers on them. Two days later they pay in full, finance fees and all. So I run back to the court and cancel the suit before they even know about it. They're still customers this year and have been excellent payers. I know some of you would say dump'em and that I'm stupid. Today, in the rain :) , I'm cutting the back and something slashes the sidewall of the new tire. Standard procedure is go get a new one and charge the customer. Dealer charged $90, mounted. Ouch. I go knock on the door to lay down the bad news and she cuts me a check on the spot. Sometimes a little tolerance can go a long way.
  2. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

Does the customer have several $35/cut properties?
    It taes a long time for one $35/cut prop to equal $1100. About 30 weeks. I'm a low baller and wouldn't let a customer go 30 weeks w/o receiving payment.

What slashed the tire sidewall? It would seem with every 7 day cuttings you could see something in the grass which would cut the tire. Maybe you just weren't paying attention. Do you charge for tire punctures as well?
  3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Thats neat that your clients will pay if you break your machine....That wouldent fly here.

This was a heavily sloped area next to a driveway. There was a bunch of crushed concrete in the grass for months that I finally started mowing over without incident. They had just done some repair to the half dead sod they laid on the slope and must have kicked up a piece of glass or something. The money was tight for them for a while, but not that tight. Like I said, I did sue them. I normally wait til winter to sue people and will keep cutting through the season because I usually win. I know I'll get the money.

Not if I break the machine, only for flat tires that I KNOW were cause by homeowner neglect, such as nails from construction or half a beer bottle sticking out of the ground. If I broke something because I tried to mow under a low branch, that would be my fault.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

That's 31.428571 cuts EXACTLY. That's a complete season down here, can't imagine much more up where you are. Good or bad? BAD for sure despite the fact they paid you. How do you let a customer get so far behind? I smell bull excrement.
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I'd get laughed off of the lawn if I did that. As an equipment operator you are supposed to make sure that area is clear before you cut. And you should walk the area before you cut to make sure of now obstructions.

And yes I know that No one does it regularly. I could understand if they just had a roof job done and your tires become a pin cushion for roofing nails...

More power to ya if you pass those charges along and you get reimbursed for it with no complaints...
  8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Like marcsmith said, I could see if it were due to some new construction or something like that but junk that has been there, thats stretching it. But hey! they paid for it right:clapping:
  9. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

10. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Im glad it worked for you. They would of had me committed to the looney bin if I tried to charge them for the tire.

But yeah, why'd you let them get so far behind? I get worried when there a week late. 2 weeks I start making calls.