1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good or Bad Dealer Support??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Trevors Lawn Care, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer is 30 minutes away (GREAT deal offered on my machine there)...

I drive down there two weeks ago to pick up a new/spare set of blades for my mower... Well i get home...30 minutes...and realize they are a good 2 inches shorter than what i need.

Today was the first day i was able to go back down to exchange the blades for the onese i need. Well i spend one hour sitting there while they locate the correct blades. It turns out that i spent an hour waiting for them to tell me they didnt have them in stock and the first day i could drive back down and get them wouild be friday. I said well why dont you mail them to me seeing as how i have already been down here twice for $30 worth of blades.

They come back that they do not ship anything and so i storm out saying they have just lost my business for good. On the drive home i get a call from the owner saying they put in the order for them today and they will be shipped to my house on thursday free of shipping charges.

As i am in the market for a new WB i am pondering on whether or not to go bacck to these guys seeing how they made a huge deal about shipping me blades, but then made it right.

What do ya'll think?

2. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I try my hardest to get along with these guys. Its always nice to have a good dealer working with you. But I keep finding they dont care about me. They care about my Money. Why should I wait the 3 weeks for an Item I want now and am willing to pay for now. Especially when they pull the (Ya we have that here) bull. Then you get there and find out its the wrong thing or backordered. Once I read a bit about John Gambas ordeal I realized what I should expect from dealers.

Some of My Dealers Favourite sayings:

-Hummmmm, Hawwwwww, Hummmmm, I don't Think I can Blah, Blah Blah.

-It will be here Friday.

-I'm sure we sent that out to you already

-The computer says we have 1.

-Its the new guys fault.

Once again just my 2 cents.
  3. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

He's trying to make it right by shipping you the blades. Give him the benefit of the doubt. Let him know that you appreciate him making the effort and that you're willing to give him a chance to keep your business. That way he knows he's sort of on probation if you know what I mean. Having a good dealer who gives good service is worth it's weight in gold. Hope things work out.
  4. Trevors Lawn Care

i agree. I did let him know i was VERY dissappointed that they were so unwilling to service the machine they sold me. i told him i would be speaking to the LOCAL dealer about the walkbehind Scags they have. I could hear in his voice he didnt like that..., as i was also trying to pull him down on the price...as a way for him to earn back my business...Knowing i am looking elsewhere currently.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

This week will tell me where our dealer stands................
    So far so good,but they did need a bit of prompting.
    One machine was in today for a caster wheel bearing,the second in a year.........it was done at no charge,new wheel assembly and all.(we were charged the first time around)
    I will be making an appointment to have another machine go in for an upgrade..........new design to reduce belt wear. It took the dealer a week to get the parts...............I don't know who's nickle this "upgrade" will be on,but..........seeing how we've ordered some other add ons for 2 of them I am waiting to see how things go.
    We had a walk behind in last year,it was promptly taken care of at no cost...............
    The jury is out yet but it seems as though the "prompting" they got may be helping,it's just a shame that they can't just do it on their own.
    We shall soon see....................
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have to agree, great advice
  7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats standard dealer practice here. Will give you the line " we service what we sell" when you are buying a machine. But when it comes time that you need basic parts they say we cant afford to stock all that stuff because the sell too many different kinds of mowers. This should really burn your ass that they dont even carry blades for your machine. Whats going to happen when you need something like belts, tires or a ignition coil, or bearings?
  8. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I'll tell you this as a former business owner. You cannot always right the wrongs commited by your employees as much as you try to teach and cultivate them as you try and grow together as a business. But you can try and repair damages done by employees in hopes of righting their wrongs. The guy is trying to do right for the mistakes of his employees. It's just too bad that employers can't learn about their employees mistakes before they occur. It would save a lot of hardship on customers and stress on both sides. The guy is trying to do right by you and I'm sure he has also talked to the employees in hopes that this will not occur again.
  9. Burger

Burger LawnSite Member
    from Montana

When I was in the Ag business, not shipping parts out to customers would have put me in the poor house a LOT faster.
  10. Trevors Lawn Care

So do ya'll recommend i switch dealers..or give him another shot...

You must remember...I know the dealer locally personally. and there were no hard feelings for getting my equip where i did...
    SOOOOO should i begin going to this guy, and buying from him, and leave my dealer in the wake?