good or bad price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontier-Lawn, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

wouldn't go more than $1,000-$1150 :rolleyes:
  3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I think its a decent price but it doesnt say how many hours the motor has. thats the biggest worry in my book.
  4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

It looks good for a belt drive.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

pass it. no hour meter and it looks as if it has had a sulky wear and tear.
  6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Screw E-Bay - the only good price you are going to get is from a dealer close to you that you trust. Not only from the stand point of a fair (Notice I did not say "screw the dealer down - low price") price, but from the stand point of good service after the sale.

When you buy that mower or whatever off ebay, are they going to:

fix any problems?

Put you at the head of the line during mowing season to get things fixed?

I buy local - pay a bit more, but have tremendous service. If I happen to break down - which is rare, I am fixed immediately or given a mower to use to keep me going ( JD dealer is my guy )

You can not put a dollar value on this type of service - If you are interested in saving $20 or $2000 on ebay and think that is going to save your operation, I would guess it is beyond saving.

Thanks Brad

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

TRUE WORDS good post flex-deck
  8. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Ex-mark walk-behinds dont have hour meters (except for very new ones) and I dont think sulkies tear up mowers (at least I have never seen or heard of a problem).

The mower isnt worth more than $1400 locally. I wouldnt pay more than $1100 for it on e-bay. The problem with it isnt lack of an hour meter or sulky wear it is the little engine, stationary deck, and belt drive.
  9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with flex-deck
    But why would you bid 1100 or so for a mower with a buy it now of 950.
    this I do not understand, If your going to go that high buy it now for less.
    he!! its only 25 bucks from min. bid to the buy it now, somebody wants to dump this thing in a hurry, wonder if its a little warm.
  10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The mower does have a hour meter (note the hour meter's wire wrapped around the spark plug wire) but whether it would show true hours or not I can't say. This is the very reason I don't put a whole lot of value in a hour meter. They're too easy to disconnect.

The mower doesn't look like it has been abused. One of the best ways to tell if it has been abused is to look at the left side of the deck. If all or most of the paint is worn off from striking objects or getting too close to objects then that shows me that the owner didn't care what he was hitting as long as he got the job done. There is a little paint worn off but it still looks decent.

The overall condition of the mower looks good. It will probably need a muffler in the next couple of years. The tires are decent. Everything including the discharge chute is there.

I would contact the seller and see if you can pay in person after an inspection. The mower certainly looks to be worth $950 in my opinion.