good place to buy bulbs?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by whitenack, Nov 18, 2005.

1. whitenack

whitenack LawnSite Member

There doesn't seem to be a good source of bulbs (tulips, daffodils, etc.) around my area. Is it a good idea to buy them online?

If so, what are good sites?

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Breck's, Van Englegen (sp?), Netherland Bulb, are a few that I can think of off the top of my head. It may be too late to get them for this year. I usually order my bulbs in late August for October planting. Your local nursery may also point you to some suppliers.

3. whitenack

whitenack LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking now was the right time for me? I live in central Kentucky, I think zone 6?

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Home Depot, they have a lot of different varieties of bulbs, at least here they do, just saying what i know of!!

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Home Dept bulbs suck. I will be interested to see if anyone has any good sources. I go to some family owned nurseries locally but it takes forever to pick through them and I usually wipe them out. I plant a lot of bulbs. This year it will be back to the locals but hopefully I can get a good lead here for next year. I tried ordering through a wholesaler I met at a trade show once but they were duds too.

6. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

colorblends.com good prices and good product

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

as long as you can dig you can plant

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

There is of course the possibility of having problems when ordering online, or when shipping this type of material.

Perhaps it was just California, but when I lived there I had shipments go bad. Some items that I would receive would be rotten, mushy, or moldy. Things would either get wet, or else go bad during the state's ag inspection process for plant material entering into the state. I finally gave up and stopped ordering things from far away.

9. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Call your local LESCO. They sell bulbs and are probably anxious to sell off whatever they have left in stock. You can still plant them up until the ground freezes in your area. A box of 50 bulbs will probably run you around 20 bucks.