Good Plan

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Premium Lawn Care, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Premium Lawn Care

Premium Lawn Care LawnSite Member

This is my plan to start my lawn comp. next spring
    ill be 17 and a junior in high school

$ 10,000 - Loan from my parents with no intrest
    Mower - 4500
    Advertisment - 3,000
    Edger,Weedeater,Blower - 1000
    Insurance - 600
    Liscense - ???
    Other Fees - 100

Total - 9200

Advertisment
    Company to dist. 20,000 flyers to Elderly and High Income Homes in a close route 1 % feed back on flyers
    Possiblity of 200 accounts
    40 should be no problem
    Sign For Trailor and Truck
    Shirts and Hats
    Newspaper Ad

Time
    Summer Time - 8 :30 - 2:00 M-F
    School 1:30 - 6:00 M-F
    8:30 - 4:00 S-S

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a truck and trailer?

3. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

thats sounds like a good plan i wish i had the ideas. good luck in your business and let me know how you do. im 18 and i wish i had the ideas when i was your age a year ago.

good luck

4. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

Good plan Prem. My only advice is to not waste your money on the newspaper ad. Newspapers aren't a bad form advertisment but it is too broad reaching for you in this situation (IMO). With the flyers you can hand pick your neighborhoods in a very tight area. The paper is going to have you wasting time taking sales calls all over the county. Personally I have had much better success with targeted marketing strategies.

5. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Sounds like you've thought it through, you should do alright.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. you have allocated WAY too much for advertising. You won't need this much. Get a good logo, a good card, and get out there with some flyers and knocking on doors TALKING TO PEOPLE. As far as the newspaper thing I agree and disagree. Do NOT spend on an actual ad, because yes,...you do get some tire kickers AND some undesirables. I do however recommend some advertising in the classifieds. People eat up the spring cleanup ads...especially if you are getting in there right at the right time. One concern is...what kind of mower of mower are you planning on getting for 4500? Doing it right and getting a REAL walk behind that is built to last and cut grass every day - all day, or getting a fake ztr tha is a look alike of a real mower?

7. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Newspaper adds depend on your target area? We gross over 50k a year with a 2" x 2" add in the back of a local paper. Paper circulation is only 4,500 residents.

8. Captains Landscape

( Edit: That 50k is generated solely from the newspaper add )

9. Premium Lawn Care

Premium Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I do have a trailor and a truck

On the mower well i guess i underestimated it but i thought that i could probley get a new/newer ztr for that price....it would be probley a 34-36 inch deck for what i need(mostly if not all residential)

Do you guys think that is maybe too much adv. maybe cut it back to around 15,000.

The only reason why i am going so high of a number is that im making sure that i actually make it instead of borrowing the money from my parents and then being out of business before the main mowing season

Another Question is that do you think that i will strugle with time during school....I figured i could probley get around 20-25 done during the week and just go balls to the wall Sat. and Sun.

This plan did have alot of thought in it and research

Thanks Guys For All The Replys :)

10. Captains Landscape

IMO- Business cards, not shirts & hats
    Letter your truck, not magnets
    If your accounts will be 1 acre+, Get a 42"-48" walk behind mower, do the smaller areas with the push until you can afford a 36"