1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good price for a 16' x 7' trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Hamons, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking to buy a new trailer. I found a used one today and went and looked at it.

It is a 16' x 7' tandem axle trailer with 1/2 ton axles and electric brakes on one axle. It has 4' expanded metal sides.

He is asking $1000. Does this sound like a good price?

It is three years old. Tires have about 75% tread.

The only thing that worries me a little bit is the 1/2 ton axles. Wondering if this is enough for my general landscaping. I had 3,500 lb axles on my other trailer.

I suppose the most weight I probably ever put in it is 5 yards of mulch. I figure mulch weighs in at about 1000lbs /yd. So I wouldn't be able to carry that much mulch anymore.

Look forward to hearing your opinions.

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

If it's in good condition $1000. is not all that much for a trailer. I built one last year, and cost me about 2K. :cool:

3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

That must be a homemade one, nothing wrong with that, but there 2-1000 lb axle's? total of 2000lbs right, subtract the weight of the trailer and thats what you can haul, by the law anyways. The reason I'm asking is cuz, my trailer though bigger 20' er regestration says it weighs 1900 lbs. But it does'nt sound to bad to me, especially the sides on it, could always replace the axle's.