1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Good price for a Billy Goat?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by YaardvarkLawns, Apr 2, 2013.

1. YaardvarkLawns

YaardvarkLawns LawnSite Member

Im going to look at a Billy Goat tomorrow, model KD511H. Its atleast 8 or 9 years old but runs strong with a good bag. Honda 5.5 OHV. Whats a fair price to pay for one this old?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sterlinglawns

sterlinglawns LawnSite Member

Hopefully not for leaf removal from yards...

3. YaardvarkLawns

yes, that was my end goal. Why do you say that

4. sterlinglawns

I didn't have a good experience using the billy goat I bought when I first started doing leaves. They lack suction power to pull leaves up out of the grass IMO.

5. sterlinglawns

They may be useful in areas like parking lots where its just a flat surface and nothing holding the leaves in place. I think using backpack blower or using a mower to mulch/bag leaves is faster and more thorough for lawn and resi work.

6. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

I have one just like that, except mine has a briggs. I paid $150.00 and bought a hose kit for it. I does OK picking up leaves but to tell you the truth I would never use the BillyGoat for leaves or power raking, just to messy and a pain to empty that many times. I would rather blow or rake leave or grass onto a tarp and load them, than use the BillyGoat. But like the previous poster said it does wonders on hard surface's and the hose reaches into places that you can't get to with the blower or rakes. I find my BillyGoat is worth it for those reasons alone. When I rake grass or blow leaves I don't worry about getting every little bit. I get the rest with my mowers. Then clean all hard surface's with the BillyGoat. The properties end up looking great.
    Hope this helps.

7. YaardvarkLawns

thanks guys, Im gonna hold off on it.