good price for a used sweeper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stephen, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Stephen

Stephen LawnSite Member

I found a 1983 Mack sweeper for sale. Truck has 10,000 miles original on a 6 cylinder diesel. Sweeper has 1500 hours on a perkins diesel. Sweeper body has sweeper, the curb brooms on both sides, and the hose attatchment for sucking out catch basins. Truck is pretty much mint. Also comes with an extra broom or two, special hydrailic fluid,special gearbox fluid and some extra filters, complete with all the manuals and repair books.
    Also comes with an operator to train me to run it for a day and the list of accounts done by the previous owner, all on an hourly basis, has no contracts just referrals. Owner wants $22,000 for all. Is this a good deal? How much do you guys pay an hour for a sweeper or how much do those that do sweeping charge? The current owner billed it out previously for $85/hr. Is this appropriate, of course given what the individual market will bear? Thanks for the input.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

dont know much about sweepers, but would like to see a pic. sounds nice.

3. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

I have never used one but I have subcontracted this type of work. I was charged $35/hr. It only took him 45 min. and I had to pay for the whole hr. Sounds like a got a good deal. It was well worth it to sub this work. The gentleman who did this work has several sweepers and says they have a lot of PM work.

4. Stephen

Stephen LawnSite Member

$35/hr seems kind of low to operate a machine with a new cost of atleast $80,000 or so, i don't know though. maybe it is just me? What about you SlimJim,or Mike Nelson you researched this topic alot, and I know NY SnowPros said they sweep? any ideas?

5. R&GSweeping

R&GSweeping LawnSite Member

There are a couple of things that jump out at me to begin with. A sweeper with 1500 hrs on the sweeper engine and only 10,000 miles on the truck???? The hours on the sweeper engine vs. the miles on the truck does not add up. A truck with 10,000 miles on it should have 300 hrs max on the sweeper engine. And thats being gracious. Really I would expect 100 to 200 hrs on the aux. engine with that kind of miles. Also, I'm not sure what your market will bear but $85.00 an hour is kinda high for parking lot sweeping. Now if you are sweeping roads, industrial areas, or construction cleanup you may be in the ball park. Generally in the US sweeping prices per hour range $30 - $70 bucks an hour depending on your market. What type of sweeper is it? You need to make sure you can get parts for the sweeper. I know you said it was a Mack chassis and a perkins diesel but you need to find out who made the sweeping unit. Since he has no contracts in place and its just a guessing game as to who will be your clients I would say $22,000 is way to high. You can find a good '90's model for around that now. Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps....

Ron

6. Stephen

Stephen LawnSite Member

I called another company to get an idea of what they charge and they get 150/hr from the time they leave the shop to the time they return. They are approx. 60 miles away from us and they are the closest that have a machine. and up here any used machines that are in a truck trader for sale are pretty beat up. last one was an '87 ford f350 w/sweeper bdy for $15,ooo. What is the going rate in other markets?

7. Stephen

Stephen LawnSite Member

so far i've gotten alot of views and only a couple of replies. What is the going rate in some other areas where you guys are from?

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

9. R&GSweeping

R&GSweeping LawnSite Member

I'm really not sure what you are looking for. Are you looking for someone to tell you yeah go ahead and buy this truck and charge $150 bucks an hour. I'm not going to tell you to do that.

What difference does it make what someone else is charging per hour? Its what YOUR market will bear. It doesn't matter what R&G Sweeping in SC, or Joes Sweepers in Hawaii, or Complete Sweep in NJ is charging. IT'S YOUR MARKET! AND don't beleive everything a sweeping company tells you either. $150 bucks an hour roundtrip. That may be what they charge but do they have any business? Give me a break. $50 bucks an hour is average in the US. I talk with sweeping companies all over the country. I know what they are charging. American Sweeper publishes a rate/cost analysis every year for every region of the country. I read it. So if you want to know more; go and do some research on the sweeper forums. You'll learn so much more there than you ever will here.

Ron