Good price or no?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by R&K Ent., Feb 6, 2004.

1. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

I have a ( It is a new Dixie dealer in the area)chance to buy choice of 3 2002 dixe choppers w/ 24HP Honda motors and between 1300-1700 hrs.They are trade ins but I 'm pretty sure i can get them for less han $4750.( It is a new Dixie dealer in the area). What would you seasoned buyers think about that deal. I only plan on doing about 6 acres(personal) now but want to at least have the option to do work for pay. Any suggestions on what you might spend your $4750 on, if in my shoes.:confused:

2. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

depends on how much less than $4750. who owned them before? sounds like a company owned them before rather than a homeowner.

i definitly would not buy a dc for $4750 with 1700 commercial hours on it.

3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

At 1700 hours a ZTR mower is about 2/3 through its useful life. In other words it is worth about 1/3 of its original price. That's if it was maintained properly. If it has been neglected or abused it will be worth a lot less. I would say $2500-$3000 tops if in good condition.

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I would spend it on a nice walk behind that was new. like a 48 hustler. or Scag. That's alot of hours for that price.

5. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

Yes They were owned by a commercial outfit that trades every two years. 4350 plus tax actually and they look to be in excellent shape(i.e. decks not scrqped on side, roller wheels and mounts are almost perfect, rear bumper and discharge chute guard are in really good shape) but you never know with the motors. Can anyone tell me about those. Thanks for your input.

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Pretty much agree with this. Maybe you can get the dealer to do something like a 2 year warranty or something, especially at the prices you quoted.

7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

That price is way too high. I just bought a 2002 Hustler Super Z, 60", 27hp, with BacPac catcher, and 440 hrs for $4500