Good Printers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GravelyGuy, Feb 27, 2008.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have used a small Brother copy/fax/print for the last couple of years and it has worked well because it prints good and I can get the cartridges cheap($3 each). It decided to crap out the other day so now I am looking for a new one. I tried the new btother series and it prints like crap so I am getting ready to take it back.

I can still use the copy/fax on my old printer so I am looking for a printer only, it doesn't have to be an all in one.

I needs to print letter heads AND ENVELOPES well and the ink needs to be reasonable. I don't mind getting the cheap ink it works just as well as OE.

What do you guys have.

Thanks...

2. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Oki C5150n color Laser printer

NOT cheap, but worth it. We found ours on sale for 1/2 price because it was the previous year's floor model. The cartridges are high, but I don't have to replace them for 18 or 20 months.

3. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Yeah that's definitely not in the budget lol. $900 at Staples. How does it print photos and graphics being that it's a laser printer?

Thanks...

4. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Consumer Reports doesn,t recommend any COLOR laser printers. I need a new printer also. CR recommends a few Canons MX810/830 ( 830 isn't supported by VISTA.) a new MX850 just came out. I'm going to get it . Color lasers - poor color quality / pricy "ink".

5. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

My brother's last printer was a Canon laser. It caught on fire and fortunately he was home to stop it before it burned down his house. It wasn't even running. Needless to say, I'm not really looking at Canon.

6. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Brother MFC-5460CN, printer, scanner, fax, copier. It works pretty well. Eventually I would like something better.

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you haven't bought a new printer yet, I bought an HP 7410, all-in-one.

I realize you said you didn't need an all-in-one, but I'll tell you about mine anyways.

First, if you've got a wireless network in your house, you can put this printer anywhere, it's wireless as well.

I have mine upstairs in a closet so when I'm using the laptop, I can just print and it's there, not downstairs in the office where my desktop and old, now backup printer is.

It also has 2 trays, so you can set up your printing program to print either out of the top tray or bottom. I have plain paper in the top tray, and then checks in the bottom tray, so whenever I'm paying bills, I set it up to automatically print out of the bottom tray.

I now have my old printer stacked with envelopes, so I have access to all 3 without having to change paper.

Also, the 7410 has 2 sided printing capabilities, so if you're printing flyers or business cards, you can print both sides.

I personally still haven't done it to know exactly how it works, but it's there.

Plus you can fax in color if you'd like, biggest issue there is, usually the person on the other end doesn't have a color fax machine.

Over all I'm more than happy with it, especially the wireless part.

I paid about $450 at Best Buy last year, and last week had to finally put a new ink at $45 in. I personally just run OE ink.

8. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

So your HP prints envelopes pretty good?

Thanks...

9. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

We wouldn't have gotten it if we hadn't gotten it at such a discount. But, I wouldn't go back to the inkjet for nothing. We went through 4 injets in almost that many years.

It prints everything I need, graphics, colors are great. We've had it for going on 2 years now. I think I need to get it cleaned, and I've only replaced the cartridges once, and those I found discounted too, and they work fine.

I know it prints pictures on picture paper, but I quit doing that and run to Walmart to have that done, because I'll let the picts sit here for ever and not print them.

But, I print picts on regualar paper...like when David needs some thumbnails printed for a bid or job, they look great.

We print all of our contracts, bids, customer billing, internet stuff, weekly and monthly reports, etc.

It feels good not to have to throw away a peice of office equipment every year.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Prints everything fine.

I still use my Canon i-960 for printing actual pictures though, even though we usually just save them on the DVD, and then just look at them on the TV when we're done.