1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Good push mowers that don't break the bank??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by aggiemower, Jan 18, 2010.

1. aggiemower

aggiemower LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Just getting started. Need a couple of good push mowers that won't break the bank. I am looking at used Toro Pro Lines, but would like to buy new so I have warranty. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  2. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

If you can afford it try and find a used 36 inch walk behind. Try the creigs list. You can probably get one for around $1,000 or less. If you cant then do what you have to do but it wont be long before you out grow your push mower. I mean like 10 lawns….at that point you will be wishing you didn’t waste your money on a push mower.

Like I said though…sometimes you have to do what you have to do….I started my business with a crappy push mower from lowes so don’t feel bad
  3. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

i agree 100%!
  4. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

If you are using this primarily I'd agree with the above comments. If you need 21'' like you said, then I'd look into Snapper, I've got one and like it, not sure what they're going for these days though. Another option is Honda. These are very good mowers also and are in the 600-700 range I believe. (From a dealer, the Home Depot Hondas are less)
  5. AOD

AOD LawnSite Senior Member

Snapper or Lawn-Boy. I'm also a big fan of the Personal Pace WB,s except that they suck on hills. The older Deere's with full pressure Kaw's and oil filters are great mowers, built like a tank and they run forever. Stay away from the newer Deere's, they are nothing like the older ones, the only reason I bought one was the price had been drastically reduced and I don't put that many hours on it.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

All GREAT advice, I could only think of one other thing to add.

Just starting out some get sticker shock. and go with homeowner mowers.
    PLEASE do your self a favor and DONT DO THIS.
  7. epicklein22

epicklein22 LawnSite Member

Find a few older lawnboys, especially if you can find the commercial grade ones. Parts aren't hard to find around here and they are tough machines. The ones with aluminum decks are extra lightweight too.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

for a 21'' toros are nice
  9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

If you're side-discharging a lot, then I'll recommend the kind(s) that send the clippings directly out of the right side (...as opposed to the rear dis-charge chute out to the left). This style will perform much better in damp/dewy conditions....and the clipping dispersal is much better.

Some have a different opinion, but I liked my dealer sold Toro SR4/21s. They are residential...and go for less than $550 with a bag...~$500 w/o a bag. They would need a new set of back tires by the end of the Summer, but would otherwise run like a champ.

While I mostly side-discharged with them, when I did bag, I could leave the side-discharge chute open WHILE bagging...making for a multi-multi-use mower.

While I thought these Toro's did a pretty good job, they don't even come close to the cut quality of my Quickie 32.
  10. Bustedblade

Bustedblade LawnSite Member
    from Ny

Posted via Mobile Device